WineBoard
Port..how long does it last? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Port..how long does it last? (/thread-9963.html)

- uh1p - 12-06-2000

I have never bought a bottle of port. However I have been mooching off of my friends for years. Now I'm ready to make the big plunge. My question is how long does it last after the cork is removed? I know regular wines deteriorate rapidly, but with the higher alchohol content of the port would that extend the shelf life? I just can't drink an entire bottle at one sitting, and would like it to last me for quite awhile. Is this even possible. Many thanks in advance, and my friends thank you too!

- mrdutton - 12-06-2000

I won't ever try to drink a whole bottle of Port in one sitting, by myself. My wife would kill me, my headache the next morning would disable me.

I think quaffing that much would also be unfair to the port. As I got drunker and drunker the port would be less and less enjoyed for what it is supposed to be, IMHO.

There have been other posts here giving information on how long port will last when opened. I don't recall the exact replies. I thought it was in the range of several days to several weeks.

I am sure you'll get, soon enough, a more definitive answer than mine.

- Drew - 12-06-2000

I was told by a shop owner that Tawneys will hold up longer 1-2 weeks where Rubys only 2-4 days. My experience is along those lines.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-06-2000

uh1H welcome to the board and I`m impressed with the ability to sponge after dinner drinks for eons.That`s an ability to admire. Ports will last for 2 weeks or longer if stored properly. Use a Wine Preserver like " Private Preserve " and it will last longer. Don`t lose the ability to sponge howm-so-ever. winoweenie

- RAD - 12-06-2000

I caught a bit of flak for this before, but I'll say it again. My own experience with port--albeit cheaper Australian varieties, and the Ink Grade from Heitz--has shown that I've noticed no difference at all after having the bottle opened literally for months. My palate may not be as refined as some, but I can certainly tell if a bottle of wine has been open for a day or two. Perhaps the alcohol content of the ports I've had is higher than normal; I don't know.

RAD

- Drew - 12-06-2000

WW, please explain what a wine preserver is?
I know your not talking about a vacu-vin.
Also it seems that all my Ruby ports start to fade quickly after 3 days even using a vacu-vin.

Drew

- Bucko - 12-06-2000

Drew, Wine Preserve is an Argon and Nitrogen gas (inert) that you spray into a bottle to displace the oxygen and help extend the life of the opened wine. It really does work. Vacuvin is worthless IMHO.

Tawny Port will last a month or more when opened, Vintage Port around a week -- based on my 20 years of Port drinking experience.

Bucko

- uh1p - 12-06-2000

Thanks a lot! It really helps. I LOVE a good port and a stogie. Not much of a connisseur, but what the heck..I am a mooch.
I will continue to get those freebies, but will have to lay in a stock of that wonderful elixir.

[This message has been edited by uh1p (edited 12-06-2000).]

- Thomas - 12-09-2000

Anyone want an argument? Stogie with Port--with any wine--is a bad practice, and I care not what the aficionados say, including Shanken and his other magazine. Tobacco ruins tastebuds just as sure as coffee does. And I won't go into the health mattter. ...

RAD, I cannot imagine how those Australians could offer up a port-like product to last for months. But I think I said this the last time you posted that thought: the only way you could really know if your palate is getting what you think it is is to taste the months-old right alongside a freshly opened one. If you cannot tell the difference then you are correct, but if you can tell the difference. ...

- winoweenie - 12-09-2000

Drew, Bucko gave you the answer. The product is marketed under the name " Private Preserve ". It also have carbon dioxide in it. You can preserve over 100 opened bottles with one can and as Bukster say, " It do work ". ( I think!. I bought a can in 1997 and have used it about 7 times, and always on the 2nd or 3rd bottle) I agree on the Vac-U-Vin. Absotively worthless like my cats. winoweenie

- RAD - 12-09-2000

Let's finally put this one to rest, and see if we can't take it from anecdotal accounts to actual fact. So the actual issue in question is:

Obviously, the higher the alcohol level, the longer it can remain open. Wine is typically 11-14% alcohol, and obviously doesn't last more than a couple of days. Spirits, on the other hand, can be 40-50% or more. Port is obviously closer to wine in terms of alcoholic content. I've no experience with vintage port; mostly tawnies. Are tawnies higher in alcohol? The bottle of port I currently have open is Joseph Phelps Le Mistral light grenache port, 16.0% alcohol, 11.5% residual sugar.

I'm not a chemist. At what percent alcohol is an alcoholic beverage "over the line," and more or less safely able to remain open?

RAD

- winoweenie - 12-09-2000

Rad, Vintage Port is normally in the 18 % range and residual is from 15-20 depending on the shipper. The alcohol AND the sugar are the reasons that VP take so long to mature and also why they last so long. Haven`t had a lot of experience with tawneys or LB`s but I agree with Foodie that several months for ANY port that`s opened has to have a severe negative effect. Try his idea. WW