WineBoard
ficklin port - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: ficklin port (/thread-9936.html)

- n144mann - 02-19-1999

Do any of you know how consistant the Ficklin port is?? I have had it twice, once thought it was quite good, the second time thought it was quite bad. The second time it was very raisiny and much tooo much alcohol taste as compared to the sweet fruit. IS this typical or did I just get a bad bottle??
Thanks for the info

- Bucko - 02-20-1999

Ficklin is one of the best CA Ports around IMHO. Good quality/price ratio. Sounds like you might have gotten an off bottle.

Bucko

- n144mann - 02-20-1999

Hey thanks, I thought they had a good rep becuase the first bottle had been given by a friend who has VERY good taste in wine. Didn't think he would give something that was going to be a questionable drink.

Thanks again

- Jerry D Mead - 02-24-1999

If you want to try a really good California style Port...check out Quady 1990 "Starboard"...just named Best New World Dessert Wine trophy winner at the New World International.

JDM

- n144mann - 02-24-1999

Hmmm sounds good! What is the price point and how available is it??

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 02-25-99).]

- Jerry D Mead - 02-26-1999

N144...Re availability...I don't know where you live, but it generally has good availability through wine specialty stores.

Frontline retail on Quady Starboard 1990 is $20 and change

JDM

- Bucko - 02-26-1999

The Quady was amazing for a New World Port. It fooled a lot of us in the NWIWC competition. Well worth the dollars.

Bucko

- n144mann - 02-26-1999

Well I live in Minnesota (gag) Why the Mayo brothers wanted to put the Mayo Clinic here I will never understand. Somewhere WARM seems a much better choice! But, because the clinic is here, we have some $$$ in the community and we do have a variety of stores. I'll be sure to look for it, can always go to Minneapolis if I am unable to find it in Rochester.
NG

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 03-01-99).]

- n144mann - 02-26-1999

Hey, what would you guys recommend for a Tawny Port in the $20-$30 dollar range? Father-in-law likes the stuff, I don't have any knowledge about Tawnys, but thought it would make a good gift.
thanks
NG

- Bucko - 02-26-1999

Minnesota?! People ACTUALLY live there? ;-) Seriously, I've heard that it is a beautiful state, although I'm ashamed to admit that I have never visited.

Although it is arguable, many people who are Port affecianados say not to waste your money on 20 y/o and 30 y/o Tawny Ports - buy the 10 y/o Tawnies. I agree. There are many good ones out there. My personal favorite is Niespoort 10 y/o.

Bucko

- n144mann - 02-26-1999

Well Bucko, do we LIVE in Minnesota??? No, we just SURVIVE in Minnesota :-) No really, it IS pretty here with lots of trees and lakes, cold and snow and REALLY short summers with mosquitoes the size of small planes. If you like these things its really nice! :-) And then there is always our highly esteemed new governor <GROAN> (guess it obvious I don't work for the MN tourist bureau.) You just have to make sure and escape during the winter to somewhere warm to thaw out. :-) Place of choice for me....New Mexico.(TOAS is fun, like it best after ski season in the spring) LOVE the desert and mountains! Food and wine isn't bad either. Thanks BUCKO for the Tawny Port advice, will be sure to give it a try.

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 02-26-99).]

- n144mann - 02-27-1999

Hey Bucko, I have done some looking and can't find your recommend for a Tawny. I have not gone up to the Twin Cities and looked, but was wondering if you had second choices?? Think I can get the Quady's (YAHOO) can't wait to try it!
Thanks
NG

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 02-28-99).]

- Bucko - 02-28-1999

Also look for 1990 Quady Starboard Port. I just returned from the New World International Wine Competition, where over 2200 wines were judged. I got to sit in on the Port judging and the Quady was hands down the favorite. It really tasted like an old world Port.

Pick up some 10y/o Tawnies from the major Oporto houses and experiment. Taylor, Graham and Fonseca always do a good job.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 02-28-1999

Sometimes Port houses do not use the word Tawny, so don't always expect it to be there...When you see the phrase...Ten Years Old, Twenty Years Old or (as I had a spectacular example of from Rozes the other night) Over Forty Years Old...they are indeed wood/tawny style Portos.

That Over 40 Porto I referred to retails for from $150 to $180 and has one of the longest finishes of any wine of any kind I can remember...I enjoyed the aftertaste all the way home from dinner!

JDM

- Jason - 02-28-1999

The 30 & 40 yr tawnys are too much, but the 20 is worth pursuing. The older ones are also very big bucks. Dow and Graham are both good. Dow is a little more delicate, Graham is very rich , super long finish.If you like this taste profile don't forget about Madeira as well. Blandys 10 yr Mamsey is a great choice and not as sweet as port. Great balance.

- n144mann - 02-28-1999

Thanks guys for all the advice. I have found the Quadys Starboard,( I was just curious,how much different is the Starboard 88 from the Starboard 90? ) and have tried some of the Grahams Six Grapes port. I am fairly new to port, frankly never thought I would like it, but I have been proven wrong. I will try some of the others (the tawnys) and see which I like best. I have not had much for Tawnys, but I will just have to make the sacrifice :-) Never knew researching the purchase of a gift could be so much fun!!!
Thanks again!
NG

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 02-28-99).]