WineBoard
Dessert Wine Help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Dessert Wine Help (/thread-9923.html)

- Triple H - 09-20-2005

I'm going to a dinner party this Saturday, and I was asked to bring the dessert wine. while I've enjoyed a few Ports, and a few French/Italian White dessert wines over the years, I'm not nearly as comfortable making a good selection on this topic as other wines.

Any recomendations for something that would really knock the socks off a group of people that enjoy good wine, but are not wine "nuts" like all of us?

Also needs to be something in stock that I can pick up locally.

oh ya, don't want to do the ice wine thing, I'd like something old world.

[This message has been edited by Triple H (edited 09-20-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 09-20-2005

I would recommend a 2001 Sauternes. Great year and can't really go wrong with any of them.

A few 4 Puttonyos or higher Tokaj could probably do the trick as well.

A really Italian Vin Santo (these are expensive...$75 plus per half bottle) are great too. See if you can find one from Fondoti (his are generally pricier if you can find the).

BTW, Icewines are not just new world, they were really more established in Germany.

- hotwine - 09-20-2005

I'd choose a Port for that crowd.... like the Taylor-Fladgate LBV (other than the '99). Not expensive and widely available.

- Innkeeper - 09-21-2005

I'd go with a Wiskers Blake Tawny Port from Oz. It is a delicious, inexpensive, thought provoking wine that gets people excited.

- Triple H - 09-21-2005

Thanks, all good suggestions, I'll report back on what I buy and how it goes.

- Triple H - 09-22-2005

Just got back from the wine shop at lunch they had just bought a cellar from a guy that had cases and cases of Sauternes and they had even been purchased and stored at this same store. Anyway, I Picked up a 1989 Chateau Raymond-Lafon. I guess it's a vineyard right next door to d'Yquem. We'll see how it goes!

- TheEngineer - 09-22-2005

They seem to a have a lot of information on this producer on the K&L wine site (www.klwines.com).

- wondersofwine - 09-23-2005

Sounds like you made a great choice Triple. Let us know how it tastes.

- Triple H - 09-26-2005

Well, this went over quite well! I must admit I've never had a white wine like this…ever. Actually come to think of it this was the oldest wine I’ve ever had period, so I was a bit nervous opening the cork etc. but the cork came out smooth and firm and in great condition.

The nose was quite expressive as I could have kept my schnoz buried in the glass and just breathe in the stuff all night long, but alas, the taste was even better. Medium to full body mouth feel, incredible balance of fruit, acid and alcohol along with a sweetness that was not candied flavor at all, just extremely pleasant. Very smooth texture with honey and apricot flavors on the palate, and a finish that lingered for close to a minute. All the attributes of a great red wine, but in a white desert wine! Amazing. Oh and yes, everyone there had various expressions of wow on their face and all enjoyed it very much.

- winoweenie - 09-27-2005

Ah the joy of drinking a great older bottle! WW