WineBoard
wine/cheeze matches - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wine/cheeze matches (/thread-991.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Duane Meissner - 08-10-2001

I plan to try the wines listed below, and would like to know if any of them have a good, easy to find, cheeze match. I know that you would prefer I give you more than just the grape variety, but my palate isn't very refined, and I don't think it will make too much of a difference if you give me a cheeze that will TYPICALLY work with the wine in question. Also, let me know if I would be better off quaffing any of these. Here they are...

1. Italian Lambrusco

2. Late Harvest German Riesling

3. Beaujolais

4. Chianti

5. Ecco Domani

THANKS!! -Duane

- Innkeeper - 08-10-2001

1. Italian Lambrusco: Velveeta
2. Late Harvest German Riesling: Stilton
3. Beaujolais: Smoked Brie
4. Chianti: Buffalo Mozzarella on sliced paste (Italian) tomato.
5. Ecco Domani: Ecco Domani what? If Merlot, Imported Provolone

- cpurvis - 08-10-2001

Duane, Good suggestions from IK. Below are some simple, readily available picks that would also work. BTW, Ecco Domani makes merlot, cab, sangiovese, pinot grigio, etc.

cheers, cp

1. Italian Lambrusco: aged Parmigiano or Romano
2. Late Harvest German Riesling: cheesecake or fresh fruit
3. Beaujolais: Gouda or Jarlsberg Swiss
4. Chianti: Parmigiano, Romano or white Cheddar

[This message has been edited by cpurvis (edited 08-10-2001).]

- Drew - 08-10-2001

Love the stilton with German desert wines, tawney ports and some ruby ports.

Drew

- winecollector - 08-11-2001

Innkeeper- Velveeta?

- mrdutton - 08-11-2001

Winecollector - Lambrusco?

I think that might justify the Velvetto remark, but can only second guess.

- Botafogo - 08-11-2001

Hey! Quality Lambrusco (and there is a LOT of it!) is a wonderful thing and is best paired with the incredible cheeses of it's native Emilia-Romagna. Speaking of which, the land of both the world's best cheese, Parmegiano-Reggiano, the world's best ham, Prosciutto di Parma and the world's best vinegar, Balsamico di Modena should know a LITTLE about matching food and wine and they choose to drink wonderfully refreshing and invigorating FIZZY reds most of the time......

Roberto

PS: we have customers buying Maletti Lambrusco di Sorbara and Lambrusco Grasparossa by the CASE in the summer.

- Duane Meissner - 08-11-2001

Lambruscos are fizzy?? I didn't realize. I'm not as pumped about trying it now :-(

-D

[This message has been edited by Duane Meissner (edited 08-11-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 08-11-2001

Could make a similar case for Velveeta, Roberto. Melt some with some Belgian Lager, butter, dry mustard, Worchestershire Sauce, minced onion, salt and Tabasco. Pour over fresh baked sourdough rye bread toast, sprinkle with bright red paprika, and run under a broiler. Would serve that with any Lambrusco you could serve up.

- Thomas - 08-11-2001

Roberto, in my opinion, Prosciutto di San Daniele is better! So there.

- mrdutton - 08-12-2001

Botto thanks for your comment about Labrusco. My remark should have been qualified by mentioning that I was NOT referring to quality Lambrusco - which, indeed, can be quite good!

IK mixing all of that together with velveeta renders the cheese with so many other flavors that I'd think one could hardly notice that it was processed cheap cheddar substitute. However, in defense of velveeta, it does work quite well when one wants to make chili con quesa (sp?). I use browned Jimmy Dean spicy sausage (broken apart into hamburger sized bits), velveeta, chilies, cayanne and a bit of real cheddar; mix all togehter and nuke until melted (stirr several times).

- mrdutton - 08-12-2001

Duane, the fizz in the Lambrusco is not as a strong effervesence as you would find in sparkling water or even in Champagne or other sparkling wines.

Lambrusco has a light fizz on the palate which is just barely noticeable in the glass.

Try to find some quality Lambrusco and try it with some of the aforementioned cheeses. You might find that it is a worthy combination.

- winecollector - 08-12-2001

I'm waiting for the post that shows how good "Franzia" goes with the higher end cheeses!

- Botafogo - 08-12-2001

WC, just because some liquor lizards slimeballs made Riunite (the lowest form of industrial co-op produced crap) the largest selling imported wine in America history you should not judge that as an example of other Lambruscos or the plethora of other rossi frizante that are one of the nicest parts of life in northeastern Italy. Rather, you MIGHT look at the amazing success of Riunite as a good indicator of the taste level in the USA and then go try some of the real stuff plus some Sangue di Giuda, Bracchetto di Aqui, Vivace Barbera and Bonarda Frizzante.

Harsh but needed tuff love, Roberto

- Thomas - 08-12-2001

I know what Roberto talks of; I have had some of those frizzante wines in Italy, and they are a thousand steps above Riunite. Yet, I am not at all fond of red wines with bubbles, and since I would never, under any circumstances, put Velveeta into my mouth, I am glad not to have to drink the red fizzies.

- ddf68 - 08-13-2001

I have to second the Velveeta comment. Also, is Velveeta cheese? Doesn't there have to be some dairy content to qualify?

ddf

- Innkeeper - 08-13-2001

Duane, just look at the mess you gotten us into now!

- cpurvis - 08-13-2001

wc, Franzia probably fits in the "higher end" Cheeze Whiz kingdom. BTW, too bad woodpeckers don't make cheese...would give you a match for those chards you drink [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

cp

- Thomas - 08-13-2001

Aha! I wondered why Duane spelled cheese with a z instead of an s. Now I know; it is the Cheez Wiz that did it. Velveeta haz ztarted zomething.

- mrdutton - 08-13-2001

DDF68 - Velveeta is NOT cheese in the true sense of any really good cheese. It is a process cheese and, although it does contain dairy product, the stuff is made by a mechanical, chemical process rather than by a natural one. That's why the box the stuff comes in says "Kraft, pastureized process chesse product" instead of cheese.

It is kinda like the difference between a decent French or Italian wine that exhibits plenty of its terroir and an inexpensive Cali that was manufactured with plenty of winemaker intervention.