WineBoard
1990 Suduiraut - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: 1990 Suduiraut (/thread-9876.html)

- wdonovan - 02-02-2006

Anyone had this 'new' release yet? Very orange for a sauternes, even at that age.

- hotwine - 02-02-2006

I'll check the single bottle that's resting in the cellar. Haven't even looked at it in a couple years, and have no plans to drink it anytime soon.

- hotwine - 02-02-2006

You're right. Mine's a brownish orange (or orangey brown.... whatever.) Kind of like the color of an old piece of golden oak furniture that's been given a once-over with Pledge. Have been moving furniture out of my mom's place, so you get symbolism of that type at this point.

May have to reconsider the plan to hold that bottle. Was hoping the '90 would go 20 at least. Would welcome recs to drink or hold.

- wdonovan - 02-06-2006

Drink. Sorry but I'm terrible at writing TN's but what I got out of this was overripe grapefruit, complete with the bitter finish) and 'almost' a slight sherry overtone. Slight hint of canteloupe, but deep concentration was needed to bring it to the front of the others. I know these TN's make the wine sound horrible. It was actually quite nice but due to the bitterness and sherry, I'd prefer a later Suduiraut or Doisy-Vedrine.

- hotwine - 02-06-2006

Hmm. And you've stored it properly since release?

- wdonovan - 02-07-2006

"Hmm. And you've stored it properly since release?"

Yup. Stored at 58F in cool, dark cellar since last Sunday when bought from a local reputable dealer. He claimed that the Chateau just released it and that sometimes a Chateau will hold back some wine for a late release. I think the Chateau just noticed this stuff in a corner (of the attic) and is selling it in a Hail Mary move so they don't get stuck with it.
The thing I find strange is that Hotwine found the same visual characteristics in a wine I presume he bought at first release, and cellared independent of the bottles I have. Sounds like a strange quirk of the wine itself rather than stewardship, no?

- wondersofwine - 02-07-2006

I don't have much experience with older Sauternes. Older Riesling can turn an amber color so maybe this isn't so abnormal?

- hotwine - 02-07-2006

It is indeed normal for a Sauternes to turn an amber color over time: Larousse says "As it matures, Sauternes deepens in colour and acquires a drier, almost burnt flavour, sometimes compared to butterscotch."

Bought this one bottle for my mom in Dec '95 (or '96 - handwriting in the old cellarbook is hard to decypher - and I wrote it) from a reputable dealer.

Will need to plan a dinner with something like pound cake for dessert and include 4-6 other people to give this thing a one-shot chance to shine. And maybe do it sooner rather than later.

- wdonovan - 02-07-2006

I'd call this a pound cake wine more than a bleu cheese wine.

- hotwine - 02-07-2006

Pound cake is subdued enough to let even a shy dessert wine speak. Maybe preceed with steaks, veggies and a St Julien. Stomach's growling.