WineBoard
Tokay Pinot Gris - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Tokay Pinot Gris (/thread-980.html)

- wineguruchgo - 11-17-2004

What do you think of Tokay Pinot Gris with Thanksgiving dinner?

I'm trying to get my sister to jump out of her Sauvignon Blanc box!

I'm also going to bring a Pinot Noir for dark meat folks.

Any thoughts? I don't mind spending $25+ for the white.

- Thomas - 11-17-2004

It's an interesting choice. Also might want to try Tocai Friuliano. Each wine is (should be) aromatic with a slight spiciness and quite fruity.

I guess I should point you to one: Terlano

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-17-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 11-18-2004

Hey Foodie,

You are saying "interesting choice", not a "good choice".

She will not drink a wine that has been oak aged so most Chardonnays are out. She drinks unoaked Chardonnay all the time so that won't be special or different.

Any other thoughts? Again, I would like to introduce her to something outside of the Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio & SB box.

All thoughts are welcome.

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2004

Gewurztraminer from Alsace. Trimbach is easily located and is quite reliable. (Also Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio are the same varietal so not much of a change)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-18-2004).]

- Thomas - 11-18-2004

Same variety WOW, but side-by-side, a French Gris and an Italian Grigio are often far apart, the former generally with more spiciness.

Guru--interesting as in: should work for some and not for others...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-18-2004).]

WOW- That's why I was thinking Tokay rather than a straight Gris.

Just something different that won't scare her!

- Thomas - 11-18-2004

Guru--My understanding is that Tokay Pinot Gris is the same grape as Pinot Gris. It's just the name given it in Alsace. And I think they are going to be forced to stop using the name. In fact, I think the Italians will one day have to stop using Tocai Friuliano.

The Hungarians claim it is confusing the consumer and tarnishing their famous wine region.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-18-2004).]

It is my understanding that Tokay in Alsace is actually a botrytis wine.

I'm thinking about the Trimbach Personnel Reserve that will run me $35+ per bottle.

Here is what I found online about it:

Rich and fragrant nose, apricot and touch of botrytis. Very ripe fruits in the palate, creamy texture, full-bodied.

That's why I thought it would hold up will with the Thanksgiving trimmings.

Again, all opinions appreciated.

- winoweenie - 11-19-2004

WG my beverage of choice with the bird and trimmings is a nice fruity simple zinfandel FRIW. WW

- wineguruchgo - 11-19-2004

WW,

Red Zin is fine for me and Bro'in Law but sister prefers white.

- Thomas - 11-19-2004

wineguru,

The books refer to the Tokay D'Alsace which has been renamed Tokay Pinot Gris in preparartion for dropping the Tokay altogether, and then it will be referred to as Pinot Gris, which is already hitting the market.

I have had numerous Tokay D'Alsace that were not necessarily botrytis wines. I don't think it is a requirement for production. If not, you would have to ask about or know the specific product. probably best you pick something else.

Go for the Tocai Friuliano, which some believe is the same grape (furmint ) that makes the great Hungarian wines, and even in Hungary they produce a dry version which I love. In Italy, it is an aromatic dry white.