WineBoard
I want the Best Zinfandel from California! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: I want the Best Zinfandel from California! (/thread-9672.html)

Pages: 1 2

- ting - 01-10-2000

Guys!!!
Can You help me choose the right Zinfandel?
I haven't tried one yet. I want it to be the one of the best.
Actually The nearest store offered me
Kempton Clark Zinfandel...
please tell me more about Zins!!!

thanx.

- Jackie - 01-15-2000

Two excellent California Zinfandels can be found on this web site, one by Gary Farrell Wines and the other by Limerick Lane.

See our homepage (www.wines.com) for links to both. There is an online order form but shipping is limited to the reciprocal U.S. states. Maybe a local source can get them for you, if you know exactly what you want. Both wines are in limited supply.

The GARY FARRELL 1997 Zinfandel - Dry Creek Valley / Maple Vineyard ($30)has won two Sweepstakes / Best of Show awards and the San Diego National Wine Competition and the Long Beach Grand Cru. It also received gold medals at the Orange County Fair, West Coast Wine Competition, El Dorado and the Riverside Int. Wine Competition.

The LIMERICK LANE 1997 Limerick Lane, "Collins Vineyard," Russian River Valley ($22) was voted number 1 by the California Grapevine.

- merle - 02-04-2000

You might want to investigate Ravenswood. They are renowned for their Zin's. I have several put away at home.

- RickBin389 - 02-04-2000

Ridge Zins are hard to beat....

- mrdutton - 02-05-2000

Anything Ridge is quite good..............

- winoweenie - 02-05-2000

I second or third the Ridge. Their Geyserville and Papagni Vineyards bottlings are always always among the best Zins made in Calif. They`re one of the oldest vintners of Zin In Calif. Winoweenie

- Bucko - 02-05-2000

I have been a Ridge fan for 15 years. We just did a vertical tasting of Ridge Geyserville 87-96. One unsettling trend was that the wines seem to be getting oakier, year by year. Then again, could it be that the oak subsides significantly in these wines with age?

Bucko

- Scoop - 02-07-2000

Let's not forget Deloach (esp. Gambogi ranch) or St. Francis, also two excellent producers, among others.

Scoop

- Bucko - 02-07-2000

I personally do not like St. Francis -- way overoaked for my palate. A shame, because the fruit is so pretty.

Bucko

- juliedu - 02-13-2000

St. Francis '96 Zin, a real treat. '97 looking pretty good too. Rabbit Ridge too of course, big fruit.

- ting - 02-14-2000

I hope I can buy these wines for less than $20

- winoweenie - 02-14-2000

Whoa!!! You just now put an impediment in the way of acquiring the " Best Zin " available. For the best zins under 20 bucks we have to back up. Ridges` top zins cost in the mid to high 20`s. Rabbit Ridges` top zins are over 30 bucks, etc. For one of the better zins in your price range, try finding Green and Red Zinfandel . The 97 is muy bonita. Suggest you state your parameters before we all go into advice mode. WW

- ting - 02-14-2000

Nah, it's ok if I spend a little more... I love to make this experince last...so if you say it worths appreciating what a true Zin should be...I will go for it...To my Quest for the best Zin... Need more because I'm in the Philippines and some wines might not be available here...

- RickBin389 - 02-14-2000

Here are few more to try....

Steele Catfish or Lolonis vineyard Zins
Turley Dogtown zin
Seghesio "old vines" zin

- Drew - 02-28-2000

Also try the 1996 Villa Mt. Eden reserve Zin. I picked it up at Sams Club in Niceville Florida area for $16.99 a bottle. Very tasty!

- VRVixen - 02-29-2000

All the Reds I've tried from Villa Mt. Eden are great and well-priced.

Ballentine makes a nice jammy Zin. I'd drink it any day especially when I find it in stores for under $13!

- ting - 03-16-2000

I hope someone has tried Kempton Clarke Zinfandel...

- Randy Caparoso - 03-21-2000

Ting, to be brutally honest: Since none of our Zinfandel aficionados have heard of the Kempton Clark, it probably ain't very good. I suggest you look for the other brands cited. I would suspect that in your country you would be limited by a choice of major brands, such as Robert Mondavi, Louis Martini and Rodney Strong. While not always the greatest, these are all good, solid, highly representative producers of the grape -- meaning, medium to full bodied, dry reds with good, solid tannin, a juicy texture, and aromas and flavors suggesting blackberry and/or raspberry jam-like qualities spiked by blackpeppery spice.

- ting - 03-21-2000

Thanx a lot Randy, maybe I'll try to buy the wines in the DUTY free shop they got plenty in there. I'm planning of buying White Zinfandel too..Thanx a lot...I love Wines...man its truly worth it

- Bucko - 03-22-2000

Sorry for the delay -- I have tried two of the K-C, and here are my notes:

1997 Kempton Clark Zinfandel, MAD Zin, $12, new release. This is a blend of 85% Zinfandel, 12% Petite Sirah, and 3% Alicante Bouschet produced in a jammy style that is ready to drink now.

1997 Kempton Clark Zinfandel, Lopez Ranch, $18, 6000 cases. The grapes come from 82 year old vines, yielding a full-bodied wine with nice blackberry fruit and spicy pepper nuances.

I preferred the latter.

Bucko