WineBoard
2002 Ravenswood Vinter's Blend - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Ravenswood Vinter's Blend (/thread-9618.html)

- hotwine - 11-16-2004

With a NY strip grilled back in Feb and dug out of the freezer tonight, to avoid having to cook in a t-storm.... dunno how this lil orphan escaped previous cordons & searches.

Very nice nose, showing a lot of promise. But first taste failed to follow-up.... swirling and rolling on the tongue just wouldn't dislodge flavor components. Nose still prominent, so there's something hiding in there.... may take long decanting to show, and I didn't have the time. But the finish showed a faint but very appealing chocolate nuance, again announcing something was there that hadn't yet shown itself. Costco price of $7.85 with 13.5% alc/vol. At that price, may buy a few to tinker with. Shouldn't hold much hope for a cheapo, but dang! that nose sure got my attention.

- californiagirl - 11-16-2004

I guess this would be a good time to bring up my recent experience with Ravenswood Winery. Worst winery I've dealt with. They had an on-line special clearancing out their '99 Gregory Cab, '99 Merlot and '99 Meritage for $120 per case. I got a mixed case.

Wine club manager, Cathleen Fransisco, put my order through b/c it was a mixed case. We played phone tag getting my cc#- no big deal. She confirmed my order about a week later. I figured on getting it in a week at the most b/c since I live about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away from the winery.

3 weeks later I get a phone call from the wine club asking if I'd substitute vintages. No problem, I guess. Another 2 weeks later, I e-mail her that I still have not rec'd it. Her assistant calls the next day and tells me that it was her fault and I'll have it next day air. Seems they can't count, b/c I only rec'd a 1/2 case. It was after hours so I e-mailed her again, and followed up with a voice mail to the winery, (got the phone # from the winery's web site main page). Next day I receive a chastising e-mail from Cathleen telling me that I had no right to call the Tasting Room?!?, and if I had a problem, I needed to deal with her directly. She would "look" into it. I received the wine the next day. 7 weeks after my cc# was charged for a "clearance special". No follow up to see if I ever got it, no apology for rudeness or timeliness.

I will never buy their wine again.

- winoweenie - 11-17-2004

Another fine small producer who sold and now the corporate beanies have taken over. Too bad CG.

- Thomas - 11-17-2004

It's a Constellation Brand winery now...

- wondersofwine - 11-17-2004

Ravenswood Vintner's Blend has never done much for me but one of the sales staff at Carolina Wine Company was praising some of Ravenswood's single vineyard Zins. Any comments from those who have tried them recently?

- hotwine - 11-17-2004

CG's tale and the corporate take-over are enough to cause me to steer clear. Thanks.

- newsguy - 11-17-2004

sorry to hear about your trials and travails, CG. i won't buy or recommend ravenswood again. a shame, cause cause some of their zins are pretty nice.

- Kcwhippet - 11-17-2004

When she told me about the problems with Ravenswood, I told cg that I haven't bought any of their wines in a few years, particularly the zins. They just haven't been the same since they had to account to their shareholders. They've lost their excitement, IMHO.

- newsguy - 11-17-2004

actually, i haven't bought any ravenswood zins in a couple years. used to really like some of their zins, especially the vineyard designates. but i have tasted the vintner's blend and the county series lately, and definitely agree they have dropped in quality.