WineBoard
2005 Scherrer Shale Terrace and Old & Mature - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2005 Scherrer Shale Terrace and Old & Mature (/thread-9612.html)

- winoweenie - 01-20-2009

Winding down from our great Sunday extravaganza decided to check these out. Both were brite ruby. The Shales nose was balanced between the fruit and spices while the O&M definately had more depth. Both are built for the long haul and are about as good as Zin can get. Score both 90/92. Shale 17+ on futures and the O&M 19+. Both 14.5% alc. ( This will be my last post for awhile as I go on a much needed sabbattical today.)WW

- winoweenie - 07-25-2009

Opened another O&M for lunch yesterday and the nose lept from the glass. Showing spices, loads of fruit, and a tad of brown sugar. Controlled brambliness. All came over to the palate about as refined as this grape can get. Always one of my top 2 or 3 favorite zins from each vintage this sucker joins an elite group. Kicking this hummer up to a solid 91. WW

- winoweenie - 09-10-2009

Had another for lunch today with a center cut pork roast done in me new infrared cooker. Great balance between old fashioned oven, convetion oven and new wave tech. This sucker did an 8+ pounder in 2 hours and it was browned all-over. This was without a doubt the juicest, tenderest, most flavorful piece of pig I've had in a long time. The Zin was killer juice with this "other white meat". Intend to make a jerk-BBQ sauce for tonites rendition. Before I git me tailfeathers singed 'twere the Old & Mature. WW

- winoweenie - 09-13-2009

So as not to show a decided preference the Grand-daughter, her hubby and G-Grandson came over yesterday for some lovely pulled pork tenderloin, various cheeses, some home-made guacamole, and my daughters fabulous salsa plus some other sundry munchies. Had 3 bottles od the Shale Terrace. One each of the 03, 04 and 05. All were tasty as all get-out. The marriage was a perfect pairing and naturally I thot the company be killer.
Saturdays done git much better. WW

- TheEngineer - 09-14-2009

Sounds Great WW, nothing like good company with a few bottles!

- winoweenie - 01-01-2010

My choice to accompany my killer black-eyed- peas and cornbread and what a pairing! With the subtley that Fred lays on his juice the zin had the perfect strenth to compliment the spicy-sweet peas. The cornbread slathered in organic spread devoid of alla' them bad oils was super. Great morning coupled with great company and close friends make for a kick-pastootie start for 10. WW

- winoweenie - 02-14-2010

Had another of the Shale last nite whilst enjoying the be-jabbers outa' the olympics. Trying now to remember what food I had to accompany same but it's a wee bit hazy here in the desert. What-ebberly...I do know I liked it. WW

- andrawes76 - 02-23-2010

I have a bottle of this and can't wait to try it. Too bad I only have one left...

- winoweenie - 03-29-2010

Opened the Old & Mature while watching baskets yesterday. Still brite ruby. Nose has brambleberries, spice and loads of red fruits. All hit the tongue running. Solid entry, weighty center and a 4+ lapper finish. Kick this lovely up to a solid 91/94. WW

- winoweenie - 12-31-2010

Seems like New Years eve is time to pop the cork on another bottle of Freds marv juice. Had and O&M last nite. Not a great amount of celebrating for me and for the 1st time in 45 years I dint make me killer Black-Eyed-Peas. Life will get better again. WW

- winoweenie - 03-04-2012

Opened the Shale yesterday with Papa John's and watched golf. For the 1st time it seemed like a bottle of Freds' juice was on the downslope. Hopefully it's just an anomoly as I still have 2 bottles from my original 2 cases left. Will open them dudes BERRY quickly. WW ( By the by I couldn't pull this past post up on the " Search the forum" thingie at the top so did it the hard way)

- winoweenie - 03-20-2012

With the weather WAY down in the mid-50s yesterday I decided to make some chilli and opened one of the Old & Mature. Went together like Cheech & Chong. Warmed the cockles of this old black heart, and filled that enormopus cavity at me belt-line. Alc was 14.5% and posed no problem. Good Stuff! WW

- Drew - 03-20-2012

Wow Verne, you're mid fifty's and we be mid 70's. What's going on?

- winoweenie - 03-20-2012

Dumb Storm! Couldn't read the road map. WW

RE: 2005 Scherrer Shale Terrace and Old & Mature - winoweenie - 02-10-2014

Found a Shale Terr hiding so as We decided to have some Dreamfields linguini with my homemade mushroom, peas, onion & artichoke sauce in a nice tomato- based with fresh basil dressing. The Shale was as elegant as the sauce and really made for a great addition to the Sochi scene. WW