WineBoard
Marietta Old Vine Red Lot Number Thirty - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Marietta Old Vine Red Lot Number Thirty (/thread-9574.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Glass_A_Day - 02-27-2003

If anyone has seen my lost two posts, you know I bought a bunch at the recent value tasting I attended. This is another from this purchase. It is also another that I wish I bought more of!! At $9 it is a good value. Kind of funky though, as it has no vintage. A very fruit forward bottle that will work fine with food, but would serve as a good stand alone bottle as well. Soft tannins with good structure and a bit of spice make this wine a fine house red. Alc is 13.5%.

- winoweenie - 02-27-2003

Hi ther GAD-fly. One of my favorite new restaurants here in the valley feature this very nice quaffer. Having dinner there tomorrow,and will probably run them out of stock again as there are 6 of us. WW

- Drew - 02-27-2003

$9 bucks per is a WHALE of a price for Marietta...$15 average here.

Drew

- Glass_A_Day - 02-27-2003

$9 was after the 20% mixed case discount.

- Drew - 02-28-2003

20% off mixed case ain't shabby either [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Drew

- joeyz6 - 02-28-2003

Saw it for $10.99 back in Chicago at Christmas.

- Kcwhippet - 02-28-2003

Drew,

Many stores in the area are now offering 20% case discounts, mainly to get rid of wine. Someone came up with the great idea of the higher case discounts rather than the price slashing that's going on in some places. Makes sense from a retailer's point of view because it's moving more wine out of the shops faster. There's even one shop that's offering 30% on three or more cases, and their single bottle prices are competitive, so they're not marking up.

- Thomas - 02-28-2003

Kc, why do stores in MA have to "get rid of" wine?

- Kcwhippet - 02-28-2003

Maybe "get rid of" is a mite strong. It's pretty much a result of the current economy we think. Sales are down some and a lot of bottles are languishing on the shelves. For instance, yesterday seemed a particularly slow day, so when I was running the closing reports I checked last year's sales at this time of year. The past two months are about 15% behind last year. We're getting good sales out of the "Best Buy" section and the everyday wines, but the mid and higher tiers are lagging. Someone suggested it might actually be due to the crappy winter we've been having, and people just aren't in the mood. I hope that's all it is and things pick up with warmer weather.

- Drew - 02-28-2003

KC, please make a call to the Maryland stores and tell em they're lagging behing their contemporaries. The best mixed case discount is 15% at only 1 local store, all the others offer 10%.

Drew

- Thomas - 02-28-2003

Kc, every time someone tells me that sales are slow because of the weather I want to cry. I always think: "why does bad weather cause people to forego their daily bread (wine)?" Then, I realize that wine is not our daily bread here in the USA...sad affair.

Hope things pick up your way--as a retailer, I hate to here that profits have to be sacrificed.

- Thomas - 02-28-2003

Kc, every time someone tells me that sales are slow because of the weather I want to cry. I always think: "why does bad weather cause people to forego their daily bread (wine)?" Then, I realize that wine is not our daily bread here in the USA...sad affair.

Hope things pick up your way--as a retailer, I hate to here that profits have to be sacrificed.

- Thomas - 02-28-2003

- Kcwhippet - 03-01-2003

Posted above in Best Buys, but to add to this thread - Gordon's in Waltham, MA is offering 21% off a case.

- Thomas - 03-01-2003

Funny, I posted the above on my new computer but it did not show up; posted it again-- nothing; tried again--nothing; gave up--and here it is today, three times; I am on my old computer.

The reason for my passion for wine: all the upgrades are compatible...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-01-2003).]

- winoweenie - 03-01-2003

Jes' be sure'n wash the glass. WW

- hotwine - 03-01-2003

Hmm. I'm buying as much as ever. But I don't drive the 20 miles to the wineshops if the roads are covered with ice.

- Glass_A_Day - 03-03-2003

This post has run a little off. Maybe I didn't give enough info. It was bought at a tasting in RI, not a store in MA. Hence the 20% mixed case discount. This is after three cases too. Bottle price was 10%, one case mixed or solid was 15%, and the three case break was 20%.

- Drew - 03-04-2003

...and what does Paul Harvey say?

"And now you know the rest..of the story."

Drew

- winoweenie - 03-04-2003

And 'Jes when the Foodster wuz gettin' warmed up. Shuckins! WW