WineBoard
Why don't I like this Geyserville? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Why don't I like this Geyserville? (/thread-9555.html)

- Bucko - 04-19-2001

It has been one of those days for the better half and myself, run ragged, and a pizza is about the only option for dinner at this point. So, out comes the pizza wine, a Zinfandel. I pulled out a 93 Ridge Geyserville, sure to please. We sit down, begin eating the pizza and drinking the wine, which is very fruity and typical Geyserville, but it is just not getting the job done. A few more bites of pizza, a few more swigs of wine and the dissatisfaction grows. What the heck is going on? Then it hits me, the dang stuff is hot, too alcoholic. I look at the label and it says 14.5% alcohol. I ask Carole, without any prompting mind you, what do you find wrong with this wine, if anything? Too much alcohol came the reply without hesitation.

Is anyone else tiring of these big alcohol wines? I guess that I am becoming more and more intolerant of these 14+% alcohol wines, finding myself enjoying lower alcohol wines much more often, in fact, almost exclusively.

Bucko

- barnesy - 04-19-2001

I agree, Many a good Zin I have had has been ruined by the inability to balance the huge alcohol. Good tannin, good acid, big fuit...but the alcohol just washes it all away.

Barnesy

- winecollector - 04-20-2001

I've never been a big fan of Zin's, but perhaps you guys should stick to the SW..'s then?

- hotwine - 04-20-2001

I agree with Bucko & Barnsey, too much alcohol can easily ruin an otherwise nice wine. I now check the alcohol content on a bottle before buying and decline any above 13.5% (unless it's fortifed, of course).

Was it WS that recently posted a daily polling question on its website about checking alcohol content before buying?

It's a good thing Bucko had a plentiful reserve of alternatives!

- Innkeeper - 04-20-2001

Amen. The same goes for any wine made bigger than expected. A couple of months ago we opened a Dolcetto d'Alba to go with a simply sauteed veal scallop. It was too much for the veal. Checking the bottle it was 13% alcohol. Not really high, but high for a Dolcetto. So last night with Mother out of town, I popped the second one to go with a grillpanned rib eye with salad with blue cheese dressing. It was wonderful!

- ddf68 - 04-20-2001

IK, I've been meaning for some time to ask what "grillpanning" is. Does it require special equipment?

ddf

- Innkeeper - 04-20-2001

A grill pan is a (usually) square heavy skillet with raised ridges on the bottom surface. We bought the Scanpan version last year, and have used it at least four times a week when outside grilling can't be done. Gave each of our four kids one for Christmas. Dutton uses the All-Clad version. Both are available from www.chefscatalog.com . They are great for anything you would cook on a grill, and even impart a "grilled" flavor to the food.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-20-2001).]

- Thomas - 04-20-2001

Ditto--re, the alcohol discussion.