WineBoard
Wild Hog Talmage Vineyard Zinfandel 2001 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Wild Hog Talmage Vineyard Zinfandel 2001 (/thread-9500.html)

- praxis1966 - 11-21-2006

Here's the thing, I got a hold of a bottle of this stuff from a closeout sale figuring for 3 bucks a bottle (knowing it usually retailed in the 20s) figuring I really couldn't go wrong.

I've done a bit of research on it, and became even more impressed than at the outset. These guys seem to be doing everything right: small production line, organic farming, hand harvesting, and none of their wines are filtered. Not only that, but Zin's from Mendocino in that year are rating pretty highly.

My question is this, though: Do you guys think this would benefit from a little more cellaring, or should I go ahead and drink it now? Any additional opions on the vineyard in general and this particular vintage are more than welcome.

- Innkeeper - 11-21-2006

Hi Praxis and welcome to the Wine Board. I rarely keep any Zin more than five years. I would go ahead and pop it. Why did you only buy one?

- winoweenie - 11-21-2006

Hi Praxis and welcome to the board. Hope for 3 bucks you cleaned the joint out. If you have several bottles here's my suggestion. Try one now and see how you like it. Then set your drionking window accordingly. Most zins don't benefit from aging so at 5 this should be close to as good as it's gonna' get. WW

- dananne - 11-21-2006

In this situation, I'd also be faintly wondering why it's on the closeout table for $3. In Hotlanta, that's how they frequently get rid of the wines that sat outside on a paved lot in the August sun until the corks started to escape. Sometimes not, though, so if I see something like this I usually pop one right away. If it's dead, well I'm out $3. But if it's good, then I know to clean out the place.

- praxis1966 - 11-22-2006

Thanks you guys for the warm embrace; been on alot of message boards where newbies were stigmatized.

To answer a few questions: I used to work in the liquor store in question and I know the wines I'm talking about weren't burnt. The store is closing down, and they're just trying to get what they can for the bottles regardless of original cost. It's a grocery store style liquor store, but occasionally we did get nice stuff in there. In fact, I know they weren't left outside to suffocate because I stocked most of them.

As far as buying them out, I did. There were two dusty old bottles of this stuff left the other day. I got one, the liquor manager got the other (we happen to be drinking buddies so I can't complain).

At any rate, I guess I really can't crab. In the same sale, I picked up 4 bottles of Mumm Cordon Rouge NV for 12 bucks.

[This message has been edited by praxis1966 (edited 11-22-2006).]