WineBoard
recommendation - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: recommendation (/thread-9478.html)

- coleman - 11-05-1999

I am looking for a zinfandel with a strong black pepper flavor. Any suggestions?

- Bucko - 11-05-1999

Swan Stellwagen.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 11-05-1999

You can look up the address and phone number of Swan and most other North American wineries at www.winesandvines.com

- Thomas - 11-05-1999

Deux Amis used to make such a product, as did Elise and Peachy Canyon. Do they still?

- Randy Caparoso - 11-15-1999

Here's a Johnny-Come-Lately reply. I find black pepper in virtually every top quality Zinfandel that is neither too weak nor overly ripe and pruney. Not coincidentally, most of the top Zinfandels come from old vineyards which are are planted the "field mix" style that the 19th (and early 20th) century Italian growers loved -- meaning, they weren't just planted with Zinfandel, but also with varietals such as Petite Sirah and Syrah (which are VERY peppery tasting), and Barbera. Last year I visited one old mountaintop vineyard used by Edmeades which had WHITE varietals in the mix. Anyhow, since the old Italians didn't like the taste of pure Zinfandel, they always did a blend, and crushed it all together to make their house reds or what they often called "Chianti," "Claret," or even "Mountain Red" (and, sometimes, even "Zinfandel").

Consequently, you'll find peppery Zinfandels up and down the state; from Mendocino (especially Edmeades and Lolonis), to Sonoma (especially the Ridge Geyserville and Ridge Lytton Springs, although you can also find black pepper discernible in the Zins of Dry Creek Vineyards, Quivira, Gary Farrell, Rancho Zabaco, Everett Ridge, and Sebastiani "Old Vines"), Napa Valley (Robert Biale and Howell Mountain Vineyards are especially peppery), and down into Paso Robles (some personal favorites include the little seen Hitching Post and Makor labels, although Peachy Canyon does indeed make some peppery spiced doozies down there).

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 11-15-1999).]

- Thomas - 11-15-1999

A member of the board picked up my error; the producer is Elyse, not Elise.

- Bucko - 11-15-1999

Randy, as a whole, I thought that the 97 Peachy Canyon Zins were pretty horrid -- not up to their former self. FWIW.

Bucko

- Randy Caparoso - 11-16-1999

Peachy's lower priced (non-estate) '97, though, is perfectly delicious -- light-medium bodied, supple, sweetly berryish with moderate tannins, and nuances of cinnamon and cracked pepper. I consumed a couple of bottles while staying at a hilltop B&B in Paso Robles last summer; sitting on around a gravelly Mediterranean style garden staring up into the pale blue sky. Cows mooing in the distance.

- Bucko - 11-16-1999

!@#$% cows were acting just like the sailor's siren's -- they lured you right into the rocks, dashed your palate, and forced fed you plonk........ ;-)

Bucko

- Randy Caparoso - 11-17-1999

Which goes to show you that there is a time and place for every wine, Bucko! I'm absolutely sure that every wine you enjoyed during that last trip to Tuscany, or Provence, was not exactly a 90 pointer. That's the problem with geeks (not you, Bucko) -- they just can't get past their mania for nothing-but-the-best and just enjoy the moment... and let the plonk fly and cows jump.