2001 Scherrer Shale Terrace - Printable Version
+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Scherrer Shale Terrace (/thread-9467.html)
- winoweenie - 04-16-2005 07:28 AM
As always, well-crafted. Deep ruby. Nose very fruit orientated. In the mouth balanced between fruit, spices, cocoa, and vanilla. Sensuous mouthfeel. Weighty center and a solid 4-lapper finish. Still some soft tannins to resolve in the next 1-3. 90/92 17.25 on futures. 14.5% alc. WW
- californiagirl - 04-16-2005 10:17 AM
ww- how long did you decant this?
- winoweenie - 04-16-2005 05:50 PM
I'm a believer in not decanting. I like to watch the wines evolve in the bottle and glass. I normally drink my 1st glass in the hour after pouring and then the rest over the next 1-2 hours. Just a lazy sucker I guess. WW
- Innkeeper - 04-16-2005 06:11 PM
If any of you have been following Dan Berger's Newsletters lately you know that he has been encouraging aeration. The founder and former now retired head of Trader Joe's, Joe Colombe used to taste all the wines they sold. He would report is his own newsletter to customer this way on wines: "1973 Simi Burgundy, Sonoma County, $2.99/20 minutes." This would appear in all his evaluations, and the "minutes" was the amount of aeration it needed. Apparently ole Joe is still kicking around and can be found at http://www.winejoe.com
Just found this out in the last couple of weeks, but as we have reported long before we decant all red wines except very young Beaujolais. How long to do this before dinner is still a process of trial and error.
- winoweenie - 05-15-2005 05:30 PM
Opened the last of the box today with grilled baby-backs and egg-plant marinated in EVOO and garlic, broiled with fresh mozz and topped with tuscan marinara. Lots of good stuff goin' on ebber-wheres. Hate saying good-bye to an old and dear friend. WW
- jmcginley1 - 05-15-2005 11:49 PM
I have two things to add to this conversation...
1) I need to get on the Scherrer mailing list.
2) I also don't decent wines. I am much like WW in that way. I open the bottle and pour a glass right away. I take my time, and watch the wine evolve as I drink it over the next few hours.
- winoweenie - 05-16-2005 06:54 AM
Works fer moi'.WW