WineBoard
Sweet red wine?? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Sweet red wine?? (/thread-9460.html)

- fieldsodream - 07-18-2004

I am just getting into drinking wine. I had a Reisling and I liked it. Is there a red wine that is sweet? I tried one red wine and it was real dry and not sweet - I didn't like it.

How can you tell the sweet from the dry?

- Bucko - 07-18-2004

It is rare to find a sweet red wine unless it is Port, although there are exceptions e.g. Bonnie Bonair from Bonair Winery -- they are targeting people just like you. It is a pretty decent quaff as well.

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2004

A very welcome to the Wine Board. You might also look for a Lambrusco from Italy. Reunite is the most widely available one, but there are better quality ones at slighty higher prices. You might also look for the current vintage of Beaujolais Villages. The '02s in particular are excellent. They are very fruity though dry, and you just might like them.

- californiagirl - 07-18-2004

I agree with IK. You may find that my definition of sweet wine and yours may be entirely different. Some think fruity wines are sweet, others describe sugary wines as sweet. It will help us to know what your definition of sweet wine it.

If you are looking for more fruit forward wine than sugary sweet, pinot noir may be to your liking.

- fieldsodream - 07-19-2004

Thank you all so much! I bought a white zinfandel yesterday! I love it!

I can't wait to try these. A long time ago I drank Reunite, guess I thought it was not a true wine.

You have all been very helpful. I am not sure what the different types of sweet are yet. I am just learning all of the ins & outs of wine.

- MizzuCowboy - 08-14-2004

A great sweet red wine is a St. James Red Velvet made in Missouri. Not a bad wine and about 7 to 8 dollars a bottle, not bad on price either.

- Innkeeper - 08-14-2004

Welcome to the Board Mizzu. I have found that just about any winery east of the Rocky Mountains with a resonably wide repertory will offer off dry or downright sweet red and white wines, including many there in Missu.

- Disneygirl - 01-12-2006

I don't know anything about wines, but had the same question about sweet red. Someone responded what do you mean by sweet/do you really mean fruity. I liked the Lambrusco answer because that is a favorite in our family. Doesn't make your mouth pucker... A suggestion would be something called Southern Red made by the Lakeridge Winery in Clermont Florida(where I live) EXCELLENT!! They also have a Southern White which is very good as well. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't like all of those reds that you smile and swallow but think, oh my gosh, this stuff would kill you (even though it is expensive). These two wines are inexpensive but GREAT, please try.