WineBoard
Ridge Coastal? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Ridge Coastal? (/thread-9419.html)

- eskinnyc - 05-06-2003

After reading many raves, I'm planning on stepping up to the Ridge Zins.

I've noticed the cheapest one, the Coastal (about $17), is only 52% Zin. Does it still have the distinctive Zin flavor, or does is taste more like a red blend? Whats the flavor profile? Would it be worth it to skip the Coastal and go straight to the Sonoma Station ($19, 76% Zin I think)? Thanks.

- Thomas - 05-06-2003

$17 and only half the volume is Zinfandel! What's the rest of the wine make up?

- stevebody - 05-06-2003

I don't have the bottle right here in front of me but the blend is really wild: Zin, Carignane, Petite Sirah, Sangiovese, Mataro, and something else that I'm leaving out. Six grapes in all. It's something that only a lunatic would try to do, but Paul Draper pulls it off effortlessly. It's a gorgeous, stately wine, with all sorts of flavor elemants, tons of terroir notes, and a spicy profile that reminds me of a big Zin without framing them in that big black pepper blast and the lead flavor or black berries. It's akin to a really great Chateauneuf du Pape in character or a very well-made Gigondas.

I sell a lot of this stuff to people who know the name Ridge but don't want to cough up the $30+ for the Geyserville or Lytton Springs.

Anyone who appreciates excellent winemaking skill and elements other than just explosive fruit will probably love this wine.

- wondersofwine - 05-07-2003

I got into an argument (well, really a discussion) with the Simi winemaker about blended Ridge zinfandels at the California Barrel Tasting. I was saying that I wished Draper would make the Lytton Springs from 100% zinfandel grapes and the Simi guy was saying why? His take was that the winemaker uses the best blends for the best-tasting wine. He thinks without the other grapes, people would not like the Lytton Springs as much as they do. I said I thought I might like it even more. He did point out (as Tom Hill, I believe, said on another wine forum) that the Ridge Pasa Robles is 100% Zinfandel. I have not yet seen that to try it. But I'm in a quandary as to when to open a Ridge Lytton Springs zinfandel because some say the fruitiness fades if you wait too long, but I think the tannin in the petit syrah, etc. makes it too tannic to enjoy at three or four years.

- winoweenie - 05-07-2003

Have been putting the various Ridges in the cellar since the 74 models. This was when Lytton Springs estate bottled. The Pagani and Paso Robles ( Dusi Fruit ) all IMHO need at least 5+ years to flex their considerable muscles. I posted on a 79 Lytton Springs orphan we tried a year or so ago thar was nothing short of sensational. The Coastal is a super drinking bottle that I use to let the Geyser-Lytton-et al rest and grow some whiskers. Great BBQ juice. WW