WineBoard
Please Help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Please Help (/thread-941.html)

- dazchef - 12-15-2005

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with suggesting some wines to go with the following items? :-
*Poussin
*Rib-eye steak
*Langoustines
*Smoked haddock
*Pork tenderloin
*Rack of lamb
*Leek and roasted red pepper risotto
Any Help with these would be much appreciated. Thank-you.

- Kcwhippet - 12-15-2005

Welcome to the Wine Board, Chef. Well, I'll try a bit. First off, what the hey is pousson? I have to assume you really mean poisson, as in fish. The wine to serve depends totally on the fish and how it's prepared. On to the rest.

*There's nothing better (IMNSHO) for a ribeye steak (nice and fatty and grilled) than a young, tannic, California Cabernet Sauvignon. Perfect match.
*Again, depends on how they're prepared. If like we do in the States for lobster with lots of butter, I'd serve a rich, buttery Chardonnay.
*A puzzler, because personnaly I wouldn't drink wine with smoked haddock. I prefer a fat ale.
* With the pork I think I'd go with something in a Pinot Noir.
* Well with the lamb, I might think French, because the seal of the town of Bordeaux has a sheep on it. So, something Merloish?
*Yoicks!! Could be a toughie, but if it were me, I'd go with a young Syrah (preferably California with no barnyard). Wait, how about a Barbera instead?

- wondersofwine - 12-15-2005

Welcome to the board, Daz. Bordeaux blends, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and sometimes Syrah or Shiraz go nicely with rib-eye steak. You want a red wine with some tannins. Syrah or Shiraz also is a nice match for the rack of lamb. Smoked haddock might be complemented by a Chardonnay that has not seen aging in oak barrels (perhaps a Pouilly Fuisse or Chablis or Macon from France or an unoaked Chardonnay from Australia. Sauvignon Blanc is another possibility for the haddock. Will the langoustines be prepared with a spicy Cajun treatment? If so, you might consider a Gruner Velterliner (white wine from Austria) or a Alsace Gewurztraminer to accompany them. I like Pinot Noir or Riesling with pork and might go for a Graacher Himmelreich (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer) Riesling with pork tenderloin or possibly a Saintsbury Garnet Pinot Noir. I'll let others weigh in on the risotto, poussin or with differing options on the ones I covered.
Oops, I was typing and posting while KC was sending his recommendations.
Is that Kent as in England, or Connecticut or elsewhere?

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 12-15-2005).]

- Thomas - 12-15-2005

KC, a poussin is a tiny chicken-like bird, as small or smaller than a cornish hen.

Since I fix such birds in many ways, the wine depends on the fixins--with curry; riesling or other fruity white with a touch of sweetness.

- Kcwhippet - 12-15-2005

Foodie, I used to raise quail for eggs and for small entree units. Never knew I should have called them poussin - always called little d**n birds.