WineBoard
97 Robert Craig Zin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 97 Robert Craig Zin (/thread-9401.html)

- winoweenie - 11-09-2000

What a dynamite bottle. Din`t know Bob was makin a zin but had one at lunch at Brava Terrace and it was a killer. If`n you can find this puppy stash some . WW

- chittychattykathy - 11-12-2000

WW, Thanks for the heads up! K

- winoweenie - 11-12-2000

CCK, velcomme back girl. We`ve missed your delightful insight. How was The trip? Was in Calif wine country for about a week. Bet you`re having the same feeding frenzy as ebberbody since the Rag unilaterrally put the mantle on the 97`s. You had the pleasure last Oct-Nov with the Cinq if memory serves. One of the Great bottles I found on this trip was from a new " Cellared and Bottled ". Name is Wightman. 1997 Napa Cab from the " Tri Leopard Vineyards". I rated the sucker rite there with the Merryvales, Whitehall Reserve, B.V. George etc. I`m normally leery of any 55 buck offering that is Produced By, but this baby is sure an exception. Their mailing adress is in Rutherford. Worth the effort. WW

- chittychattykathy - 11-13-2000

WW,
Wow thanks! I am always ready to put the in the extra effort, to get a great bottle. Yeah, I did come home from
my trip to find some interesting holes on my shelves. It's kinda entertaining to watch anymore. Ex: Many, many months ago I bought some Pride Merlot. Sadly, I had to really, really hand sell it. Even some of my regulars stalled. Then the rag gave it a 93 and low-n-behold it was gone overnight. Why is it so hard for some people to listen to a wine person, a real live person? (And I'm not talking my age/sex, that's another story.) I mean, why do they think we're there? To order/sell wines "after" WS reports on them? Shish, many of them are not even available to order at that point. Ex #2: Recently I watched a guy (that I did approach) go through my wines with his palm pilot for some 20 minutes. Finally, I could not take it anymore, and asked to see this wine program. He was very, very nice about it, but then he started to ask me which wines I liked, comparing my thoughts to those on his toy. Beauty of it was I named several (US) wines that has data base had no idea about. (It held about 15,000 wines) He ended up buying one of the Peachy Cannon Zins that I suggested (and yes, it was in agreement with the pilot). I do admit that it was a neat little program, it goes by a PQR, seemed fairly on target, and you can update it every 6 months (I think it's 6). Makes me wish I had thought of it. Cha-Ching$$ Doubt it will ever replace a real live person though,: explaining what it was like the first time they tasted a particular wine, what they actually matched this wine with with for dinner last night, or what that wine means to them now, after hiking up a steep hillside to see what the Mosel Valley feels and looks like in the middle of crush, at dawn. Now that sells wine. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] Hats off to all of you for sharing your questions and knowledge on this board, and elsewhere in your lives!!! At least we, and those we share with can get a jump on the "Great Bottles"!

- hotwine - 11-13-2000

Chittychatty, you keep dropping these little nuggets about your recent trip ("..the Mosel Valley at dawn..."), but we have yet to see a trip report in the Wine Country Touring/Dining forum. Boo, hiss! We want a report!

<the envy-green one in Texas, who toldyaso about the Mosel...>

- winoweenie - 11-13-2000

CCK, A memory for life. I sat on the porch at Diamond Creek in my sweats with a jug of fresh coffee and watched the sun come up . Al has cleared and planted 4 more acres on ther Volcanic Hill Soil base and it gets the sun for 25 or more minutes before any of the other vineyards.Could be even better than the Lake.Wont tell him tho, as he`ll charge 7 trillion per bottle. Getting back to the 1997`s, seem`s my postings kinda` hit the mark, tho I didn`t then, nor do I now ,feel it`s superior to 94.Every puppy I open from that sucker seems to be a home-run. It`ll be fun to compare the 2 in another 5-7 years. winoweenie. YEAH! What about the REST OF THE STORY?

- Thomas - 11-13-2000

CCK, you say it right. I have spent the past sixteen years trying to undo the damage (on a small scale of course) that wine gurus and magazines have done to retailing. So many retailers just sit there; they buy what the distributor touts and they sell what the mags rave about. But the customer learns little, if anything, except what the others like and what he/she is supposed to like.

Whenever I find a retailer who is also a wine drinker and passionate about it, I latch on, for that is where I shall find the best bargains and the best people with which to talk about wine.

I plan to make the shop in Manhattan a unique place to shop for wine, and that is one reason it took so long to sell the idea to the community and to the liquor authority. One of the authority's commissioners, upon asking me to come back with more information, actually said the following: "you have to forgive us old timers, we do not understand this twenty-first century retailing."

I responded with: "let me be your bridge."