WineBoard
2001 Armida "Poizin" Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Armida "Poizin" Zinfandel (/thread-9391.html)

- girlperson1 - 08-09-2003

I picked up a bottle of this stuff for $19.99 and yet at the website of the winery they are selling it for $65.00 a bottle.

Anyone know why there would be such a difference?

By the way, I think the label on the bottle is pretty cool. Love the skull and crossed-bones.

- winoweenie - 08-09-2003

Hi GP1. You'll probably find the wine you purchased and the one at the winery are 2 different animals. Check EVERYTHING on the label of the one you have and the one at the website. That's far too large a spread to be reasonable. WW

The label matches the winery, right down to the URL address printed on the label. The only thing that was missing is the coffin box that the bottle is supposed to come in. These bottles were in standard cases.

Even the unique font used for the label is the same and it's printed directly onto the bottle, not a paper label.

- Georgie - 08-09-2003

Maybe the retailer mismarked the bottle and you reaped the benefit of the error. If you like the wine go buy a few more bottles at that price.

- Botafogo - 08-09-2003

No, wineries try to set the MAXIMUM price in their on site (in both senses of that word) pricing and the REAL WORLD catches up to them elsewhere.

We are currently selling Aquinas Napa Viognier (MSR $24.00) for $7.19, Mosby Casa Vecchia Sangiovese (MRS$24.00) for $6.39, Chateau de Premeaux Borgogne Rouge (MSR $18) for $5.95 and numerous Brunellos and even serious Champagnes for less than half their front line WHOLESALE prices.

It's called capitalism, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-09-2003).]

Since I'm benefiting from Capitalism, can anyone tell me if this wine is good?

I'll go back and get a few more bottles tomorrow on the suggestion of others.

- Botafogo - 08-09-2003

It is easy, open it and see if you like it....

- girlperson1 - 08-10-2003

Let me re-phrase my question:

Has anyone had this wine and if so, what did they think of it?

- fuegos100 - 01-23-2006

is your bottle the etched one that they sell on their website?

I've been to their tasting room and they do offer TWO bottles that look identical, one is painted on red lablel and the other is actually etched into the glass. the etched version is much more costly.

I drank my bottle of 2001 poizin last night. I'm now wishing I'd bought more. I bought the $20 painted bottle, but they thew in the coffin anyhow. we used to live just down the street from the capitola tasting room.

anyhow, we loved this wine. very jammy. we also opened a 2000 cigar volante (sp) from bonny doon. the poizin received more praise.

paul

- Glass_A_Day - 01-23-2006

I heard this wine is excellent, but can't find it locally. Let us know what you think!

- Kcwhippet - 01-23-2006

GAD,

The Poizon is on closeout from United Liquors (distributor). You should see if T&V will bring some in for you. Should be under $20, because it's not the etched bottle.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-24-2006

Thanks KC. Will look into it.

- Glass_A_Day - 04-06-2006

Table and Vine was no help as always. Had my Uncle in Virginia bring me up four bottles of the 02. What outstanding stuff. I sure wish I could find someone local to buy from. KC, any sign of the new vintage???

- Glass_A_Day - 07-30-2006

Revisited this last night and for the life of me I can't see what I liked about it. Seemed like a boring $10 zin this time around. I guess it could be bottle variation. Not sure.

- Drew - 07-30-2006

GAD,fwiw, I felt the same as you when sampled some time ago but I didn't post.

Drew