WineBoard
wine for salad dressing - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wine for salad dressing (/thread-93.html)

- jacqueline and Kelley - 05-29-2001

How can I sour wine to make wine vinegar?
Is red wine the best? What kind of red?
How long does it take? Weeks or months?

- barnesy - 05-29-2001

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy wine vinegar? Is there a special reason you're trying to make it? I am note sure how to do it, I am sure someone here does though.

Barnesy

- jacqueline and Kelley - 05-29-2001

If you've ever tasted a good homemade wine vinegar, you'd no the difference. We had a dressing in an Italian restaurant in Northern California (Marin County) and you would be surprised at the difference.
Thanks for helping though....J & K

- winoweenie - 05-30-2001

Hi J&K and welcome to the board. The major active ingredient in making your own wine vinegar is the " Mother ", which is the culture that turns the wine into vinegar. You also need a small barrel (wooden) like a wine barrel. The original batch will take about a week. After that, If you're careful in pouring the wine into the barrel and don't drown the Mother your vinegar needs will be fixed for life. My current red was started over 20 years ago. There are specialty stores like Dean and Delucca that sells what you need. Also, the best vinegar is made from good wine, so don't skimp on what you feed your mother. I usually use either Zinfandel or Petite Syrah as they , like the wines, make the most flavorable, robust vinegars. Good Luck. WW

- mrdutton - 05-30-2001

For more information use the search feature of this board.

There were several discussions about making vinegar about a year ago or so. If they are still available for your to read, the SEARCH function should find them.

There is a special bacteria that is used to start the Mother........ just letting wine sit around for a long time will not necessarily produce vinegar, because the MOTHER Bacteria may not be the prevelant one. Other bacteria can also sour wine without giving it the all so wonderful taste of a good vinegar.

- jacqueline and Kelley - 05-30-2001

I just found out that to get a barrel I'd have to get a humungus barrel to do what you suggested. Oh!!please give me another idea..

where would I put this wooden monster???
J&K....forever grateful.......

- jacqueline and Kelley - 05-31-2001

I found the vinegar making in the Search section..Thanks....
Now if you could tell me the amount of "Mother" to be used, with the amount of wine, than I think I'll be set. I will be using a glass bottle. J & K

- winoweenie - 06-02-2001

J&K, You don't have to buy a wine barrel. They make the minature ones that hold about a quart up to ones that hold a gallon. I've had mine 20-odd years sitting on my kitchen counter. As far as the amount of mother you'll need, it depends on how large your container be.The lil' oak barrels do impart a marv flavor component you don' get from dem' glass jugs. WW Check with a home wine making store. They should have mother and maybe the lil' vinegar barrels.

- jacqueline and Kelley - 06-08-2001

Thanks, Mr. Wino, I'm still checking out some wine stores...I will let you know on my progress....J&K

- winoweenie - 06-08-2001

Try the home wine-making stores. There is a store in the shops at Vintage 1876 in Yountville that carries the vinegar barrels. WW

- Drew - 06-08-2001

Mr.Wino and Mr. Wienie.....These aliases point to a most wanted suspect.

Drew [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 06-09-2001

Holy-Moly, Trapped an' busted agin'.WW

- jacqueline and Kelley - 06-28-2001

Dear Wineoweenie,
You really where a terrific help. I found a store in Woodland Hills, Ca. and they sold me all the good stuff. The "Mother", A 1 gallon jug and I used a real good Merlot. It's been 3 weeks now, and you should smell this vinegar. WOW!!! Thanks again, J and K

- Bucko - 06-28-2001

WinoWanderer is doing just that, but I know he will be happy you took his advice and it worked out well. Good on ya, mate!

Bucko

- winoweenie - 06-29-2001

Hi JandK. Glad you found the Makins'. You'll really enjoy that lil' sucker. One more tip....When you fill upt the jug leave about a fourth of iy empty so you don't smother the mother. I'm serious, tho the rhyme makes it sound like one of my forgettable quotes. One of my daughters actually drowned her mother and had to restart it. You can also make marvy white wine vinegar the same way using Chardonnay or Sav Blanc. WW

- jacqueline and Kelley - 06-29-2001

Hi again,
I could not figure out why I needed a gallon jug for just 16 oz.of wine, (Merlot)and 8oz. of water, plus the starter "Mother". Which
was 8fl. oz. I did not know that you needed air for the conversion. So now I am smart.
That's the story. Thanks again, J and K...

- barnesy - 06-29-2001

Your daughter drowned her mother?
Is that why you have a child bride?

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 06-29-2001

Ah the art of prose is lost on some of the plebians. I think the thread referred to wineagers. The mother in question is what transforms our favorite beverage into salad dressing. Did some of this marvy bacteria strike your forehead during delivery? By the way girls your vinegar sould be ready to use in a month. When you add wine, give it 4-5 days to convert. WW