WineBoard
Help!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Help!! (/thread-928.html)

- RGriff - 10-03-2001

I am trying to get an opinion on a good wine to serve with turkey. If you have any suggestions please reply.

- hotwine - 10-03-2001

German Riesling from Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer and French Sauvignon Blanc both work well. We prefer the former for pairing with turkey. Serve either of them well-chilled.

- hotwine - 10-03-2001

RGriff, I belatedly noticed that you posted from Napa. Look in your area for Deerfield Ranch Savignon Blanc. It's produced in small quantities, but works very well with turkey that's been baked/roasted (or smoked with a neutral wood like oak).

- Innkeeper - 10-03-2001

If you're talking about plain ole turkey, these recommendations are fine. However, if you are talking about Thanksgiving, BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES FOLKS, then you may want something else. First off you will have sausages, oysters, chestnuts, and God knows what else stuffed inside it. Then there is the second stuffing cooked alongside it. Then there are sweet potatoes with all kinds of glop on them. Then there all kinds of exotic salads of the season. You get the drift. Thanksgiving brings a wide range of strong flavors to the table. For this you need a wine with muscle.

Wine with muscle is red. There are lots of red wines that can do the trick. Pinot, gamay, syrah, cabernet franc, barbera, and dolcetto all work. But zinfandel works best for two reasons. First because you can pick your style to match you meal. If it is not as heavy as described above, you can choose a claret style. If it is as above you can pick the monster style. Secondly, despite recent DNA findings, zin is the closest thing to an All American vinifera grape, since an unknown vine from Europe was named that in California a century and a half ago. So what would be more appropriate with an All American meal?

- lolly mackenzie - 10-04-2001

IK - Thanksgiving is this weekend here in Canuckville and my Thanksgiving menu is full of all kinds tastes. To date, I have followed every one of your suggested wine pairings and they have all been successful, so please make recommendations for the following:

Spicy Pumpkin Cumin soup with Creme Fraiche

Mesclun Salad with Avocado, grapefruit and PRawns - for the vinagrette, I will be using a grapefruit scented canola oil and white wine vinegar with a smidge of honey and cilantro.
Roasted Turkey with Apple Cider Gravy
Sourdough and wildrice dressing with granny smith apple, onion and spiced pecans

Horseradish Mashed Potato

Roasted roots- parnsip, sweet potato carrot and fennel with crispy bacon.
and other veggies
I would like to serve a white and a red for my guests to choose from
Thanks in advance!

- Thomas - 10-04-2001

If you want to serve a white and a red for that Canadian dinner try Gewurztraminer or Riesling (dry) and either Zinfandel or perhaps Pinotage for the red, although the apple cider gravy seems to rule out red and demand maybe Rose or a Rosato.

- Innkeeper - 10-04-2001

Agree with Foodie, right down to the rose'. You need to find one with some heft. Maybe the folks out in BC make one. You want it close to dry, >1.5% RS. You also want at least medium body <10.5% alcohol. If you can't find such a creature go with a claret style zinfandel, a pinotage from SA, or a nice pinot from Western Norh America, Oz, Kiwiland, or La Belle France.