WineBoard
'03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: '03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel (/thread-9234.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2009

2003 Tobin James, Dusi Vineyard, Paso Robles, Zinfandel ($38 list, came with the fall ’05 shipment). Alcohol level: 15.6%. Wow! What a fantastic wine; had to wrestle True Love for my share!

Absolutely at its peak; it gave a ton on fruit along with pepper and spice on the nose and upfront. Much more of the same in the middle; along with jam, smoke, minimal oak, and perfect balance despite the alky horsepower. This elixir provided a five alarm finish, the best finish in over a year; it just went on and on. She said it was the best wine she’d had in a looooooong time, and wished we’d bought more. Isn’t that always the case?

Now, one would think this would not go food, right? Wrong! It matched excellently with Shepard’s Pie made with ground lamb, veggies, gravy made with leftover fat after sautéing, and mashed potatoes. I saved my leftover wine till after dessert, but TL drank it with her nectarine cobbler and said it matched just fine!

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2009

Nice!

- wondersofwine - 03-24-2009

I've enjoyed Ridge Zinfandel from Dusi Ranch before so can see where this would be tasty.

- Kcwhippet - 03-24-2009

There are three Dusis farming Zin in PR - Benito, his brother Dante and Dante's son Michael. It's possible the TJ may contain some of Benito's fruit since it's a 2003, but after 2005 only Ridge and Dover Canyon are getting grapes from the 80+ yo Eastside vines. Michael farms the Westside fruit on the other side of 101 in both his and his father's vineyards. Dante has about two rows left of 60+ yo vines he planted in the late 1940's and the rest are about 18 yo as are all of Michael's. Generally, Benito's fruit is referred to as Dusi Ranch, or just Dusi, and the rest as Dusi Vineyard to distinguish between them.

- winoweenie - 03-24-2009

One of the greatest and my most vivid wine memory was finding and drinking my first Mastantuano Dusi 1977 0r 78 Zinfandel. An epiphany that was only eclipsed by the 94 Diamond Creek Gravelly. Hunted that sucker down like"Americas' Most Wanted" and ended up with 8 or 9 bottles. Great memories and equal to the 1978 quest for the 1st release of John Buehlers' incredible cab. He produced 49 cases and thru sluething that woulda' made Drew proud I came up with a case. WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-24-2009

Last bottle we had of Pasquale's wine was a 1993 Barbera consumed just a few months ago.

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2012

This is sort of an update. The '04 was popped on 10/20/09 and was not very good for some reason. The '05 was popped for Thanksgiving 2010, and we have no notes, so I guess it was up to par.

Tonight we popped the '06 which came in the fall '08 shipment. We had it pegged for '11, but it was worth waiting for. It was as wonderful as it used to be, and we matched it with a rib eye steak that had been treated with Morton Rub, and then grilled over charcoal and mesquite chips, and topped with butter after turning; served with succotash. Excellent meal for a Wednesday night.

RE: '03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel - Innkeeper - 01-26-2013

Popped the '07 tonight and it was as good as always. We drank it with a rib steak that was seared and roasted along with roasted potato strips and salad. Wonderful; hick!