WineBoard
Looking for vegetable recipe for pork & pinot dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for vegetable recipe for pork & pinot dinner (/thread-918.html)

- newsguy - 12-01-2008

help, all you foodies out there.

need to make a vegetablet dish for 12 to take to a wine offline. we'll be drinking pinot noirs all night, mostly new world style (oregon, california and my new zealand contribution), plus a few burgundies. the declared foods (so far):

Various cheeses
Bacon wrapped scallops
Seared Fois Gras on Crostini
Pork Tenderloin; Grueyere cheesy potatoes

So the veggie dish needs to:

1) work with the pork tenderloin and the potatoes
2) be something that doesn't require lots of different spices or specialized kitchen implements
3) will be OK cooking that afternoon, then reheating hours later at the offline.

Thanks in advance, folks!

K

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 12-01-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 12-01-2008

VEGETABLE CASSEROLE WITH MOROCCAN SPICES:

1 T Minced garlic
½ tsp Seasoned salt
2 tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Ground cumin
¼ tsp Cayenne
½ T Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
¼ C Lemon Juice
3 T Red wine vinegar
1 T Olive oil
1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
¾ C Chopped cilantro
¾ C Chopped Italian parsley
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
20 – 2 inch Pieces of celery (5-8 ribs)
1 ½ lbs Small red potatoes
1 lb Tomatoes (clustered)

Cut peppers into 1 ½ inch pieces, potatoes into halves or quarters into bite size pieces, and place with celery into a colander or free standing strainer. Cut the tomatoes into 1/8s and set aside. Whisk first ten ingredients in a very large mixing bowl, and mash in the chopped herbs. Toss the veggies in the colander with the herb/spice mixture in the mixing bowl and transfer to a three quart flat glass baking dish or similar casserole. Tuck in the tomato pieces. Cover (with foil if necessary) and bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees F. Uncover and cook another 30 minutes or more until potatoes are soft. Serve or keep in a warm (200 degree) oven until ready to serve.

- newsguy - 12-01-2008

thanks, carl. this recipe looks delicious, as do all the others you've posted. SOLD!

how many does this recipe serve? looks like it might be enough for 12 (considering all the other food for the evening and not everyone might eat veggies).

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 12-01-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 12-01-2008

It should serve 12 a nice size serving.

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2008

Good for IK coming through. My additional thoughts--ratatouille might do although Pinot Noir is not my first thought for matching but Pinots and red Burgundies are versatile. Also a mushroom dish might go nicely with some Pinots. Maybe something like sauteed wild mushrooms.

- newsguy - 12-02-2008

thanks again, IK.

and thank you, WOW. i need to get a good, simple mushroom recipe for myself as that would pair well with chicken and pork, which i'm trying to get more often because i do beef way too much. that's probably a fairly common trap for someone (like me) who prefers big reds.

- VouvrayHead - 12-02-2008

Can't go wrong with grilled portabellos or a mushroom risotto. There are hundreds of recipes for each out there on the internet.

- mrdutton - 12-14-2008

Nothing wrong with grilled Portabello mushrooms, but I think that the mushroom risotto would:

1) Make for two starches served with the same meal.

and....

2) be overwhelmed by the Grueyere cheesy potatoes.

JMHO!

- newsguy - 12-22-2008

didn't realize i hadn't posted, but wanted to say thanks again. your recipe was a huge hit, IK and two people asked for the recipe. i obliged, giving you full credit, of course. happy holidays to all!