WineBoard
My Zins are catching up with me! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: My Zins are catching up with me! (/thread-9161.html)

- wondersofwine - 02-17-2010

I was in a Zinfandel mood with colder than normal temperatures in North Carolina (I tend to drink Zins in cold weather for hearty meals or in the summer with barbeque or picnic fare.)

I decided to try three Zins starting with lowest in alcohol by volume (as labeled) and proceeding to highest alchohol percentage.

First up:

2006 Z ZINFANDEL, MASSONI RANCH, AMADOR COUNTY, CA, Jeff Runquist, vintner, Sue Fox, grower. Labeled as 14.5% abv. Dark purple color; opaque. Leggy on sides of the glass. Described on the label as having flavors of ripe blackberry and raspberry. It is quite fruity and blackberry probably is a closer descriptor than other fruits although far from exact. I had purchased this after a Zinfandel tasting at Fayetteville Wine Society. Liked it then and liked it now. (I have also liked "R" Petite Sirah from Jeff Runquist.

2006 ROBERT BIALE VINEYARDS VALSECCHI VINEYARD ZINFANDEL, CARNEROS (from mailing list)
15% abv. From old vines originally planted in the 1800's by a Swiss immigrant dairyman turned grape grower. Still in the family. Less dense and opaque than the "Z" Zinfandel. On the palate, a grapey first impression. Further tasting revealed layers with dark raspberry riding atop a licorice lick. Medium to long finish. It opens up more the second and third evenings. Some tannins, but not of an oppressive nature. Pair it with meat in a sweet barbecue sauce. My personal rating for this wine would be in the 87-89 range.

2006 HENDRY BLOCKS 7 AND 22 ZINFANDEL, NAPA VALLEY (another tasted at FWS Zinfandel evening and then purchased)
15.6% abv. Vineyard located on benchlands between Carneros and Mt. Veeder districts. Opaque and dark and dense. Rather astringent on the first sip. A vinyl component that is not very pleasing. Aeration helped the fruit and earth to emerge. Long finish. I liked both the Biale and the Hendry Zins better on the second evening after opening. Block 7 was planted in 1975 to Clone 2 Zinfandel. Block 22 was planted in 1995, also to clone 2. Dry rocky soils and cooling breezes from San Pablo Bay. Aged 15 months in French oak barrels; approximately 1/3 new.

I liked the "Z" best upon opening but enjoyed all three once the Biale and Hendry had been open for a day.

- andrawes76 - 02-17-2010

WOW, thanks for those notes. I have a zinfandel tasting tomorrow night and need to bring something impressive. Now all I need to do is find these puppies. Gonna bring some Groom Zinfandel to the event. Small production. Ever tried it? Its young and I think its second to the inaugural vintage...

- wondersofwine - 02-17-2010

No I haven't tried it yet but I do know a little of Darryl Groom's background. If you can locate a Joseph Swan Zinfandel, they usually get high praise. (Also Scherrer but you probably have to be on the mailing list for those.)