WineBoard
nutritional values in merlot... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: nutritional values in merlot... (/thread-9142.html)

- Hollywood Dave - 07-03-1999

Can anyone give tell me the nutritional values in merlot? Specifically the amout of sugar and carbohydrates. I had seen it on a web page that posted it only contains 26 calories per 0.13 cup (altough that isn't very much wine). I would appreciate any help!

- Jerry D Mead - 07-04-1999

You can call Elisabeth Holmgren at Wine Institute in San Francisco at (415) 512-0151...tell her Jerry Mead suggested you call (and hopefully she won't hold it against you)...she can provide you with all the information you need.

There may be some of that information at WI's website....www.wineinstitute.org

Re sugar...in dry table wines (especially reds) there is rarely more than .2% fermentable sugar remaining...which is almost nothing.

And there was some recent study which showed that for some reason wine calories don't add pounds...Dr. Bucko who hangs out here may remember if I'm remembering correctly.

JDM

- Thomas - 07-07-1999

I read that piece that claimed wine calories do not add pounds; they don't, if that is all the calories you take in.

Anyway, the general rule for a glass of wine (4 to 5 ounces) is from 90 to 110 calories. Varying residual sugar content doesn't make much difference to the calorie count, since alcohol is merely a new sugar with old calories.

- Bucko - 07-07-1999

I don't know about recently, but here is one article abstract:

Authors:
Cordain L , Bryan ED , Melby CL , Smith MJ
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA. J Am Coll Nutr 1997 Apr;16(2):134-9

Article Number: UI97254803

Abstract: OBJECTIVE: Although previous studies have clearly demonstrated that energy from alcohol may not be efficiently utilized to maintain body weight when it comprises 20% or more of the daily caloric intake, there is considerable debate regarding the influence of moderate alcohol consumption (< or = 5% of the total daily caloric intake) upon metabolism, substrate utilization and body weight regulation. Consequently, the objectives of this study were to determine whether moderate alcohol consumption could influence body weight via changes in substrate utilization, oxygen consumption or alterations in dietary macronutrient content.
METHODS: Fourteen male subjects (mean age = 32.1 years) participated in a 12-week, free-living, crossover trial in which they either drank red wine (270 ml;
13% v/v ethanol) daily for 6 weeks and then abstained for the next 6 weeks or vice-versa. RESULTS: Whether wine was imbibed or not, no significant differences (p > 0.05) were demonstrated for any of the following variables: body weight, body fat percentage, skinfold thickness, resting metabolic rate, respiratory quotient, caloric intake, dietary macronutrient content, or fasting insulin or glucose concentrations. CONCLUSIONS: In free-living subjects over a 6-week period, the addition of two glasses of red wine to the evening meal does not appear to influence any measured variable which may adversely affect body weight or promote the development of obesity during this time period.

Bucko

- Thomas - 07-08-1999

Geez, it must be that thrid glass that keeps my weight on the rise.

- Thomas - 07-08-1999

third, that is...

- Bucko - 07-08-1999

I think that the culprit is your 24 oz. wine glass, Foodie..... }:>

Bucko

- Thomas - 07-09-1999

That size glass is the only way I could figure to pour the respectable "half glass" volume (for the nose) and still swallow a respectable volume of Merlot.

Anyway, how did you know about my special Reidel?