WineBoard
Wine/Champagne for our wedding - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine/Champagne for our wedding (/thread-911.html)

- mochi211 - 09-04-2006

Hi... I'd love some input on wines to serve for our wedding reception. We love Zins and Pinot Noirs. We do have a budget also... preferably like to spend less than $15 per bottle.

Here are a few that we'd love input on:
Castle Rock Pinot Noir
Chateau St. Jean Pinot Noir
Peachy Canyon Zinfindel
Ravenswood Zinfindel
Chandon Wine Brut Classic

We are serving a dual entree of:
Chilean Sea Bass with Miso Glaze and
Tri-tip with a red wine reduction

Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated!!! Thank you!!

- TheEngineer - 09-04-2006

I've served Castle Rock Pinot Noir (both the Sonoma and the another that I can't remember right now) and both went very well with both wine lovers and novices alike. Can't beat the price either. I've not had experience with the others but several of them are frome equally consistent producers.

- brappy - 09-04-2006

When you think of wines as good values, think about leaving California. Or at least be open to the idea of another wine producing area.

For the Zins, California will work. For Pinots, try elsewhere. Maybe New Zealand, Australia, Austria, and possibly Oregon and Washington. But really you should be looking for another grape that is more fun and not such a risk. Try Shiraz, or right now Merlot. Maybe even Malbec or Cabernet Franc from S. America.

Anyway, good luck.....

mark

- Drew - 09-05-2006

The Castle Rock is a fine value that that should please all. The Peachy Canyon Incredible Red is a solid zin that can be bought for a steal if you look around. As for sparkling wines I think the Gruet blanc de noir, New Mexico, is the best bargain sparkler out there. If you wanted to explore other reds I think the best bargains with high quality are coming out of Spain which would pair well with your tri-tips. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Drew

- winoweenie - 09-05-2006

Hi Mochie and welcome to the board and congrats. The Caste R is a fine choicealong with the Peachy. I 2nd the Gruet that Drew suggested. Sounds like the city will be shakin' again soon. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2006

I too would join the Castle Rock, Peachy Canyon, Gruet chorus except for the fact that you don't have a white table wine. There are two reasons why you should: 1. At a large function such as a wedding you will have some folks that won't touch a red wine, but would a white wine; and 2. You are serving fish.

Recommend a Pinot Grigio. Masi has the only one at the $10 price point that I would recommend. If not available look for one at the $15 point. Most of the $10 and under PG is dreck.

- dananne - 09-05-2006

Please allow me to join the echo for each of the three above recs, and also to throw in a nod to having a white available.