WineBoard
Tobin James Made In The Shade - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Tobin James Made In The Shade (/thread-9091.html)

- Innkeeper - 05-25-2002

1999 tobin James, Made in the Shade, Paso Robles, Merlot ($18). Plum fruit and oak, being the only two dimensions, left this wine a typically unstructured California Merlot. Oddly it went better with food, simply fied burgers with onions nuked in OO, than by its lonesome. Sipped the first glass while burgers were sizzling, and the last after dinner. Normally this kind of wine is better for quaffing than with food. Maybe the burgers just covered up the deficiencies in the wine. Sigh.

- Drew - 05-25-2002

If you think the wine tasted better with your "simply fied" burgers, try frying or broiling them next time to bring out the real "cooked" flavors. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- Innkeeper - 05-25-2002

Fumble fingers strikes again! The good news is it came with the spring shipment from their club; so we probably paid more like $10 for it. The other good news is there isn't any more.

- mrdutton - 05-25-2002

Oh yes there is! I still have my bottle.

By the way, what is OO? And how do you use it for frying? Never mind.............

- Innkeeper - 05-26-2002

Mike, OO is an erotic cooking oil extracted from olives. Once you get over your monster strip steak and Pine Ridge Cab today, you may consider grilling some burgers and popping your Made in the Shade with them on Monday. You, KC, and others have to do it sometime. Of course, you could pack it up, and give it to that "special" friend you need to get back at.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-26-2002).]

- Kcwhippet - 05-26-2002

My pollen allergies are currently running amok, so the Made in the Shade might just be OK with me. I'd just have to get it by Judy's palate. She turned her nose up at a 99 Raptor Ridge Pinot the other evening which I thought was was fine.

- jock - 05-29-2002

Don't blame Tobin James. If he got two dimensions out of Merlot he did twice as good as most.

- Kcwhippet - 06-05-2002

Had this last evening with a garlic roasted chicken. It wasn't all that bad, considering it's a Merlot. The fruit was fine with the added oak, and it finished fairly well. Nothing spectacular, but not bad. We plan on doing a Viansa Lorenzo Merlot later this week. Will let you know how that one did.

- Innkeeper - 06-11-2003

2000 Tobin James, Made in the Shade, Paso Robles, Merlot ($16). Came in the spring '03 shipment and was listed two bucks less than the '99. Surprise! Far superior to the '99. Along with the plums and oak, this one showed some earthy complexity. At times like this when I'm trying a wine that I didn't like in a previous vintage, I don't say a word to Mother; not even what kind of wine she is drinking. With no prompting she said, "Give me a little more, I like this one." It also seemed fuller than the '99 though the alcohol (14.2%) was the same I think. Matched nicely with broiled mock fillets of beef, and salad with Russian Dressing.

MOCK FILLET OF BEEF:

1 lb Lean ground beef
2 tbl Minced shallots
1 tbl Butter
1 Egg (beaten)
2 tbl Red wine
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
3 Slices bacon

Nuke shallots with butter. Add to meat with everything else except bacon. Form into three patties; wrap each with bacon rasher secured with toothpicks. Grill over high heat/coals for fifteen minutes or broil for ten minutes, turning once.

RUSSIAN DRESSING:

1 C Mayonnaise
1/4 C Ketchup
1 tbl Prepared Horseradish
1 tsp Granulated onion (onion powder)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Barbeque Seasoning (see below)

Whisk all together.

BARBEQUE SEASONING (GENERAL BARBEQUE RUB):
1 tbl Sweet paprika
1 tbl Salt
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1/2 tsp Red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground thyme

All spices should be ground. Whisk all together, and store in a dry, opaque container and place.