WineBoard
2002 Duckhorn Estate & 3 Palms - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Duckhorn Estate & 3 Palms (/thread-9089.html)

- winoweenie - 03-30-2008

Took these to San Diego with me and enjoyed them with a couple of friends at lunch Friday. These are not for the faint of heart. We were all impressed by both wines but the Estate had just enough extra going on that it took the nod. Dan consistantly puts out top notch Merlots. No scores but both were definately in the 90 range. WW

- TheEngineer - 03-31-2008

WW,

Would you start drinking the Duckhorn '02s now or leave then for a few more? I've only got a few of them so would like to save them for later if appropriate.

Many thanks
Mike

- winoweenie - 03-31-2008

Eng IMHO I thot both of these wines drank beautifully. They mite develop slighly with another year or so but with this tired ole' palate why chance it? WW

- TheEngineer - 03-31-2008

Thanks WW, will put it on the attack soon list!!!

- winoweenie - 06-26-2008

Ole BRW(the non-poster) and I had the regular Napa and the Estate today at lunch. No question the Estate is the more concentrated of the 2 but done believe enny-body with a working tongue(wif the exception of herr Buck-Snortz) would spit out the Napa. Lovely juice that is dead on varietal. Needs another 1 for the Estate to shed some solid tannins but still killer juice. Should hold at this level for at least another 6-8. Both hit the 90+ mark. WW

- winoweenie - 07-13-2008

Opened another Napa for lunch today. Definately ready to give comfort and pleasure to the tongue and tummy. M ite gain a few more secondary thingies but not worth the gamble. Think maybe another 2-4 in the dark. Will open soon. A solid 90= WW

- winoweenie - 12-09-2009

Opened a 3 Palms for lunch yesterday and will verily attest that this lil' lovely is DOTTOIG! Probably the most concentrated American merlot I've experienced. Nose almost like a flower/candy factory with some Penzy thrown in. The mouth is almost overwhelmed by the sweet fruits and spices. Killer stuff and now I bemember why Dan haas always touted this vineyard above all others in Napa. His 25th anninversary bottling. 94/90. 75 by the box 14.6% alc. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-09-2009

When we go out to Napa, we sometimes stay at a B&B on the Silverado Trail. The back of the property butts up to Three Palms Vineyard. It's neat early in the morning as the sun is rising. We look out across Three Palms and can see Sterling Winery up on it's little hill. As the sun comes over the top of the hills across the Trail the first rays hit Sterling and it's like someone turned on a light bulb. Neat!

- winoweenie - 12-10-2009

Gorgeous area for surely! WW

- winoweenie - 12-10-2009

Opened the Estate for lunch yesterday and like the 3 Palms this is one killer bottle. Focused and dead on varietal. Slightly more acid than the 3 Palms but super balance. A solid 4 lapper which is high by Merlot standards. 92/90. 79 by the box. 14.5% alc. WW