WineBoard
Bonney Doon Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Bonney Doon Wines (/thread-90.html)

- marleyspud - 01-12-2004

Hello, I am a new message board user. I am a recent culinary school graduate and have a great fascination with wine. Right now my collection is at around 40 bottles of all different types of wines. I am very interested in the wines from the Bonny Doon vineyards in Cali. Any notes or advise on these wines? Thanks

- dananne - 01-12-2004

I've enjoyed many different Bonny Doon wines over the years. Heck, long ago before I knew much about wine, I started buying them just because of the wonderful labels!

Randall Grahm, the iconoclastic and rather eccentric winemaker, was one of California's pioneers of then-unfashionable French and Italian varietals. The Ca Del Solo line of wines put out by Bonny Doon are very nice for price/quality ratio, and for everyday quaffing wines, the Big House white and red are pretty consistent. I usually enjoy the Malvasia Bianca and the sparkling Moscato del Solo dessert/aperitif wine, also. Under the Bonny Doon label, the rose is called Vin Gris de Cigare, and is a rose in the Rhone mold. Very nice in the summer, and a good rose. The Pacific Rim Riesling is a nice one, too, and in my house I use it often with Chinese carryout. With reds, I've had several Le Cigare Volant wines (at least one of which I've posted a tasting note on in the Rhone thread), which are in the style of a Chateauneuf du Pape, but I'm liking the prices less and less each year. I've also enjoyed the Cardinal Zin and the Madiran Heart of Darkness (which I may have posted a tasting note on in early November last year). He also puts out a Vin de Pays Syrah called Domaine de Blageuers that's sourced, obviously, from French grapes. Finally, there is a yummy raspberry dessert wine called Framboise that I had recently and posted about in the Wine/Foods thread under "A Nice Chocolate Pairing."

I've tried many others, too, such as his Sangiovese, so let me know if you need any info on anything else Bonny Doon puts out. Also, take a look at the winery's webpage -- it's a hoot.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

- winoweenie - 01-12-2004

Hi Marleyspud and welcome to the board. Randall was one of the original "Rhone Rangers" so caalled because he played with the varietals KC laid out above. He is not only a fine winemaker but a character in the true sense of the word who believes that there are no parameters on the debunking of the snob appeal cast on wines by certain groups and individuals. Crack the cork, pour the sucker and enjoy. By-the=by which culinary school here in the valley did you graduate from and have you landed a job yet? If you are still looking, leave your phone number for me with Michael Fine at Sportsmans wines 602-955-7730 and I'll contact you. WW(Verne Batchelor)

- Kcwhippet - 01-12-2004

Tweren't me, WW, though I wish it was. Very nice treatise on ole Randall. I just don't type fast enough to be able to put all that down at once.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-12-2004).]

- Drew - 01-12-2004

Oh heck, you know that Kc and dananne sure do look alike on this board, can't tell em apart. [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- winoweenie - 01-13-2004

Sorry bout that KC. I knew it was the Atlanta flash and a brain lock occurred (happens lots more often now). Sorry D. Very good description of the randy Randall.
When I'm on the road and in a fishie-jernt, and they have it, I (sob) order his Pacific Rim Reisling. WW

- dananne - 01-13-2004

A SW for WW??? I'm shocked! [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- marleyspud - 01-13-2004

Thanks for the generous responses. To answer WW from Phownix, I graduated from Scottsdale Community Colleges' Culinary Program in December. I am keeping my eyes open for jobs. Thanks for the offer, I will call him and leave him my email address so you can contact me. Thanks again.

- marleyspud - 01-13-2004

Hey WW(Phoenix) I just called Michael at Sportsman and he didn't seem to know anything about the wine board, so I was unable to leave him my email address.

- winoweenie - 01-13-2004

marley-bubba. I said leave him your phone or E-mail for my attention. He doesn't have time for the board but he derned sure knows who i am. WW

- Kcwhippet - 01-13-2004

Yo, marleyspud. Go back up and look at the name to leave the info for - Verne Batchelor.

- JohnG - 01-16-2004

Getting back to the question about Bonny Doon wines, I too am a big fan. As noted above, they put out consistently strong p/q wines, and the text on the labels provides entertaining reading while you're drinking the wine.

More specifically, Malvasia Bianca is one of my favorite whites, and I really like their Pacific Rim reisling as well. The Big Houses are both very nice quaffers, and their Domaine des Blaguers is a tasty syrah that I've found for less than $8.

- marleyspud - 01-16-2004

What abou their (BonneyDoon) sparkling wines? Ever tried them?
MS

- dananne - 01-16-2004

Yes -- there is one I tried that I mentioned above -- Ca del Solo Moscato del Solo. Try with a light dessert or as an aperitif. Very yummy.

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 01-16-2004).]