WineBoard
answer to kabret - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: answer to kabret (/thread-8962.html)

- winoweenie - 04-05-2001

Kabret, welcome to the board. I can assure you that you're a whale-of-a-lot closer to the answer than the psuedo connoissuer you were dining wif'.I think what he/she was referring to are the legs you get on the inside of the glass when the wine is swirled. Guess they could be called tearing. Believe me, there 'haint no way, no how anyone is educated enuf to look at a glass of red and call the varietal. If you find one, tell him we can go on the circuit and make gazillions. Trust your own instincts, I think yours are pretty derned sound. winoweenie ( Hit wrong key.New instead of reply)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-05-2001).]

- Drew - 04-05-2001

WW, you got to get off this "Sabaticle" thing...now your answering on separate threads. I'll ship you a bottle of '94 Gallo Barrelli Creek to bring you out of your demise.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 04-05-2001).]

- winoweenie - 04-05-2001

Drewpoo, That's keen of you ole pal. It's not that I'm out of wine, it's jes' that after the continual abuse I've inflicted on my bod, I have to back off ebber 6-mos or such and say NUH-HUH. Thin I can go anoffer 6 with my 2 to 3 bottle per day allocation. It sure is boring as heck howmsoebber. WW

- mrdutton - 04-05-2001

Well now WW you might just have the right idea. On how long a sabticle do you partake?

I am interested in knowing, cuz I am very interested in increasing my one to two bottle every-other-day consumption to a two to three bottle a day consumption rate like yourself.

There is just so much wine out there and there is just so little time left to drink it all......... (GRIN)

- katbret - 04-05-2001

THANKS for the prompt reply! That does make sense- he was eyeing the glass- I could indeed see the difference in thickness... I could also taste the difference! I am just becoming a wine drinker & often find myself with a headache (not from Over-enjoyment mind you)-- my Mother says it is the tanins?
Any suggestions? WW- have you tried either of the above mentioned merlots? Are they really as good as the psedo- wine afficienado suggested?? I have absolutely no "tastes" acquired as of yet- except that I enjoy the heavier reds- like merlots and also sweeter whites like Chenin Blanc or Pinot Gritio. Any other personal favorites you'd like to pass on? Seeing as how you can handle 2-3 daily... I should be so lucky to handle as many monthly!! But alas- I am but a beginner in the finer tastes of the fruits of the gods. I must build stamina slowly and of course pace myself- yes?
Thanks again-
KATSY

- barnesy - 04-05-2001

You would probably like

Michel Lynch Sauvignon Blanc Bordeaux Blanc 1998

There is a huge link on it down in the Sauv Blanc/white bordeaux thread.

Barnesy

- cpurvis - 04-06-2001

Katsy, unless you're one o' those rare & unfortunate individuals w/ an allergy to sulfites that results in the headaches, there's a simple cure: jus' make sure ya' drink more water than ya' do wine before ya' call-it-a-night. The headaches typically come 'cuz alcohol is dehydrating to the body...nothin' ta do with tannins. With adequate H2O, you'll be knockin' back...ahmmm, enjoyin' whole bottles in no time [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] cp

- winoweenie - 04-06-2001

Kabret. Sorry to have hit the wrong key and started this new thread but being lazy I couldn't bring myself to re-type the whole derned answer. The 2 Merlots you tried are very nice. You shopuls also acquaint yourself with the Merlots from these fine producers: Blackstone, St. Francis,Duckhorn, Pride, Liparita, Matanzas Creek, and Schweiger. These, with the exception of the St. Francis and the Blackstone are higher end Merlots. Suggest you go to the Merlot thread and go back 100 days and you'll get lots of sound buying advice. "In Vino Veritas" WW

- cpurvis - 04-06-2001

WW, if this is what happens when you go SS, then fer all our sakes, PLEASE start drinkin' again soon! cp

- Drew - 04-06-2001

WW, what do you think of the '97 L'Ecole 41 merlot?

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-06-2001

Drew, sorry I haven't had it yet. When I do I'll report. Have no earthly idear which of these new keys I hit to quadruple your pleasure. WW And IK, sorry I missed your question earlier. I normally go from 2 to 4 weeks depending on the consumption of the previous 6. I almost set a new record , so this hummer is for the full month, 30 days, 4 weeks, 720 hours, or 43,200 minutes.But what the hay, Who's Counting? WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-06-2001).]

- mrdutton - 04-07-2001

WW, funny you should mention Liparita Merlot. I bought a couple cases a while back of their 1994 Howell Mountain Merlot.

Only have four bottles left in my meager cellar. One you didn't mention, that I thought was in the same league (but may be wrong), is the Cafaro Merlot. Only have one bottle of their 1994 left.

- winoweenie - 04-07-2001

MrD, Wasn't trying to run the table on all the great drinkin' merlots out there but jes' to give this brite young lady an outline to build her drinking experiences with. The Cafaro is , indeed a fine drink. WW