WineBoard
97 Rosemount GSM - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: 97 Rosemount GSM (/thread-8828.html)

- Herls - 01-24-2000

Has anyone tasted this wine, got some as a gift and got a great recommedation from the giver. Let me know.

- mrdutton - 10-26-2000

I know you posted your question quite a while ago. Sorry you did not get an immediate response.

The 1997 Rosemount GSM is superb as far as I am concerned.

Tasted some tonight...... when I decided to open one of the two bottles I have on hand.

This is a perfect match for any roast beast - like lamb or venison or buffalo or boar.

- Herls - 10-26-2000

Thanks for the reply. Since that post I have enjoyed 2 or 3 bottles of it and one off the 96. Excellent. Yesterday, I drank a Tapestry McLaren Vale 1998 Shiraz Bin 338. I got it for something like 12 bucks and it was excellent.

- tcarlsen - 11-04-2000

Are you referring to the Grenache-Shiraz blend? If so, I got a few bottles at Haskell's giant sale for $5.50 each. What a great buy!

I just love that Haskell's and Syrdyk's here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) have giant sales twice a year with excellent selections.

Why pay $20 for a bottle of wine?

I'm new to the whole Grenache and Shiraz type of grape, but I like it. I like the Shiraz more. The Jacob's Creek Shiraz ($6.50 on sale) and Rosemount Estate Shiraz ($7.50 on sale) seem to be perrenial excellent values and work well with everything from barbeques to just sipping.

As far as $20 or more wines go, I wouldn't mind trying one of the classic Rhone greats to compare against, but these under $10 wines taste pretty good to me.

[This message has been edited by tcarlsen (edited 11-04-2000).]

- Herls - 11-05-2000

You are so right about these inexpensive shiraz wines on the market. I bought a a wines.com sample pack of Rhones, 3 rhones and one austrailian, the McLaren Vale. I had 4 great wines for 39 bucks. Unfortunately, I am also buying the expensive ones as well...Same taste, but fewer lemons...

- Drew - 11-05-2000

The Rosemount GSM has always been a great wine...very food friendly with roasted beef, lamb, venison etc. Tcarlson, the grenache-shiraz blend you mention is different than the GSM. I recently stocked up on the 98' and will post TN's soon.

Drew

- tcarlsen - 12-02-2000

I know the one you are talking about now. The latest vintage made Wine Spectator's Top-100 list this year. That one is not so cheap, but apparantly a fantastic wine.

- mrdutton - 12-02-2000

I have two racks of New Zealand baby lamb in the freezer and I have one bottle of 97 GSM and three bottles of 98 GSM............

One of these days, soon, them racks will be coated with garlic and dijon and roasted in da oven until just barely cooked.

Then they'll be served with some fresh haricott verts and some garlic mashers. The grand marshall of this feast will be one or more of those bottles of Rosemount GSM.

I don't mind paying $20.00 for a bottle of FANTASTIC wine; I'd pay more if I really wanted it.