WineBoard
New Zealand Wines at Zely & Ritz, Raleigh - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: New Zealand Wines at Zely & Ritz, Raleigh (/thread-8727.html)

- wondersofwine - 07-13-2007

The thunderstorm broke when I was about 5-6 miles from the restaurant but I got there safely. Bob Bath, Master Sommelier and instructor at Culinary Arts Institute in Napa and representative of some New Zealand wineries was the featured guest. We have in common that we both lived in Monterey area at the same time in the late 80's/early 90's (but didn't know each other). He used to be General Manager of the Sardine Factory (restaurant), one of IK's favorites?

We were greeted with a glass of 2005 Greenhough Sauvignon Blanc from Nelson, N.Z.
100% S.B. Nice sharp scent between grassy and citrusy. Darker straw color (hard to judge color with lighting and reflective surfaces--I was at the tall communal table with metal surface). Some mouth presence. I suspected a touch of wood and he said both the Sauvignon Blancs saw about 10% old oak barrels.

Nancy Agasi did a terrific job pairing the wines with her husband Sarig's dishes. The 2006 Tupari Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NZ was matched with organic green sald with sauteed shrimp, honeydew melon and passion fruit vinaigrette. This SB was a paler color than the Greenhough and had a richer bouqet--almost a pear scent or fruit cocktail including pear, pineapple and grapefruit. Bob Bath described aromas as melon and passion fruit, matching exactly with the ingredients of the salad. I would have bought a bottle or two of this ($28) but went for a single bottle of the Pinot Noir instead.

2005 Hattan Estate EC2 Chardonnay, Gimblett Road, Hawkes Bay, NZ was served with maine lobster pieces with sweet local corn and cherry tomatoes and radish salad. The EC2 is for Experimental Chardonnay 2. It had a crispness that led me to believe it was unoaked (or unwooded as Mr. Bath called it) and I was correct. No malolactic fermentation either and relatively high in acidity. You could taste the Chardonnay grape in this wine. Hawkes Bay is on the North Island of New Zealand.

2004 Martinus Pinot Noir, Martinborough, NZ was a revelation. My favorite NZ Pinot Noir yet (and it should be good at $43). It's a cold climate vineyard, only 300 cases made. The winemaker describes as silky and he is right. Leggy on sides of glass. Pale burgundy color with some transparency. Red cherries on palate with hint of vanilla and cherry skins and plum skins. Silky and elegant. It it weren't for the cost I would have bought several bottles. This was served with roast breast of duck with roasted potatoes, cherries and black plum sauce.

2003 Hatton Estate Carson's Cabernets (75% Cab Franc and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon). Paired with New Zealand rack of lamb with Mushroom Hill Shitake risotto and blackberry sauce. Not a lot of oak to this wine either. 12.8% alcohol. Much darker color than the Pinot Noir. Nancy says it causes her to envision walking through a cedar forest to a clearing of blackberry bramble bushes. I did not care too much for the final wine--seem to prefer Cab Franc as a rose' from Chinon.

No dessert wines but a dish of mixed berries with Jackson Farm Creme Fresh Whipped Cream.

Wonderful food pairings with some very nice wines.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-13-2007).]