WineBoard
Wine Pairings for 8-Course Dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Pairings for 8-Course Dinner (/thread-872.html)

- bmldevil - 06-07-2006

Hey all,

I have been reading these postings and am very impressed with the dialogue that goes back and forth and the consistent expertise of the forum's moderators and membership.

I am currently planning a major dinner party, and need help with specific suggestions/vintages for wine pairings. I've identified general types of wines I may want to serve, but am open to changing them as well. The people I am cooking for have asked to keep the wine budget low, so any suggestions under $10 would be great.

Here's the menu:

Course 1: Bruschetta with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil (potential pairing: Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio)

Course 2: Dueling Fish (Pepper-Crusted Seared Ahi with Spiked Orange Reduction, Sesame-Dusted Snapper with Ginger-Lemon Emulsion, Jicama Slaw) (potential pairing: Pinot Grigio or Gewurztraminer)

Course 3: Maple Turkey Salad with Candied Walnuts, Wild Rice, Caramelized Onions, and Dried Cranberries over Red Leaf Lettuce with a Maple Herb Vinaigrette (potential pairing: Rosé or Viognier)

Course 4: Jack-Stuffed Chile Burger with Red Pepper Relish and Jalapeno Aioli served on Jalapeno Cheddar Corners (potential pairing: Sparking Shiraz or Beaujolais)

Course 5: Intermezzo: Key Lime-Mango Sorbet (no pairing)

Course 6: Honey Dijon Pork Loin served with Apple Chutney, Mustard Mashed Potatoes, and Haricot Verts (potential pairing: Riesling)

Course 7: Chicken & Shrimp Jambalaya (potential pairing: Zinfandel)

Course 8: Strawberry Rhubarb Cobble Crisp with Pecan Brittle (potential pairing: Moscato d Asti)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

- Innkeeper - 06-07-2006

Hi Bml and welcome to the Wine Board. Most of your matches are fine. I would recommend rearranging the courses some. You want lighter foods and wines before heavier ones; and white wines before reds. This is independent of the dessert wine which can be red or white or sparkling so long as it is sweet.

Having said that, this is how I would tweak your selections:

Course 1: Pinot Grigio is fine, but don't just pick up some belly wash. Even at $10 there are some really nice such as Tomassi.

Course 2: Gewurz would be fine, but I would prefer a Vermentino.

Course 3: The Viognier will work, but put it ahead of the fish.

Course 4: Recommend Red Zinfandel and serve it #7.

Course 6: Recommend Pinot Noir such as Castlebury.

Course 7: Recommend a Cru Beaujolais or a nice Beaujolais Villages and serve it ahead of the pork.

Course 8: The Moscato might be OK, but I think something heavier such an Asti Spumanti.

- bmldevil - 06-07-2006

IK,

Thanks for your feedback ... especially about the burger ... it will be spicy ... but it is going to be small (more of an appetizer than a main course) ... nonetheless, I think you are right in suggesting to move it to #7

Any particular wines you would recommend for your general suggestions?

Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 06-07-2006

For the Vermentino there are a handful of producers from Sardinia that make excellent offerings in the $10-$12 range.

Georges Duboeuf makes a very nice Viognier Vins de Pays, and a whole bushel of various Beaujolais also in your price range.

For the Zin you might want to kick it up a notch and get Seven Deadly Zins. If not Woodbridge makes a very nice one, although I wouldn't recommend any of their other wines.

There is not a lot of difference in various Asti Spumanties.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 06-07-2006).]

- bmldevil - 06-07-2006

Thanks IK.

Anyone else have thoughts?

- Thomas - 06-07-2006

It's difficult to make specific suggestions without knowing what's available in your 'hood. But if you can find a drinkable (dry) Gewurztraminer at $10 and under please let me know its producer.

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2006

Maybe a Sauvignon Blanc with the #3 course (turkey salad with vinaigrette). I find Sauvignon Blanc pretty versatile with vinaigrette dressing--some other wines not so good. You should be able to find an entry-level New Zealand S.B. for around $10.