WineBoard
Not to beat a dead horse..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Not to beat a dead horse..... (/thread-8660.html)

- Bucko - 03-13-2002

...but here is another note on a wine that I loved and others disliked:

Date: 13-Mar-2002 17:59
Subject: TN: My first screwcap---nice introduction Thread ID: 49382
Message ID: 403387

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 Lawson's Dry Hills S.B. was a wonderful S.B. for someone who generally doesn't care for the varietal. No weird grassyness or cat pee but just pure gooseberry nose and flavors with maybe a touch of chalky minerality carried by perfect acidity. I'll have to look further into N.Z. Sauvignon Blanc. Hey Sue, any recommendations?

Bucko

- Kcwhippet - 03-21-2002

I never had this wine before so couldn't really comment. However, had dinner with some friends the other evening at the Old Ebbett's Grill in DC. We decided to try an assortment of oysters from the raw bar as an appetizer and one of the wines the waiter strongly recommended was the Lawson's SB. We decided to try it based on Bucko's rave, and it was a perfect match! That was probably the tightest food/wine match I've ever experienced.

If you want to try another really good NZ SB, Bucko, give the Omaka Springs a go.

- Bucko - 03-21-2002

I have a case in my cellar......

- vinman - 03-21-2002

Love the Omaka too! Also Nobilo basic SB and my wife tells me that I do not know good SB until I've tried Nobilo 2000 "Icon" SB. Has anyone tried it?

- Bucko - 03-22-2002

I have not heard of that one. Saint Clair 2001 is a dandy, as is Isabel and Konrad & Konrad.

- youmng - 03-22-2002

I have manage to get a bottle of 2001 Sauvignon Blanc (Cloudy Bay). I know that it is hard to get outside of New Zealand so I consider myself quite lucky.

Can anyone suggest how to bring out the best of this wine? Should I drink in now or wait a bit. I know that white is meant to be taken young but heard that good ones can be age a little to bring out the best.

Pls advise

- Innkeeper - 03-22-2002

Hi Youmng, and welcome to the Wine Board. The Kiwi SBs don't have to be held as long as the Sancerres from Loire. Go ahead with the '01s as the '02s will arrive before you know it.

Serve your Cloudy Bay with some of those huge prawns you have over there, charcoal grilled.

- youmng - 03-23-2002

Thank you for the feedback.There are plenty of hugh fresh water prawns in the rivers here. I will try my luck and get my fishing rod back into action to hook some so that I can enjoy it charcoal grilled.

By the way have anyone sampled this Kiwi wine before? Do tell me what to look out for while sipping it.

- Bucko - 03-23-2002

I have a case of the Cloudy Bay as well (I bought nine cases of NZ SBs in 2001). For all of the hype it receives, I like many of the other SBs more. It is still a nice bottle of wine, but more austere than past offerings, with less of the gooseberry flavors. The acidity is fine though.

- youmng - 03-24-2002

Bucko, how much does a bottle of Cloudy Bay in your country? I got mine for RM128 which is about USD$33.70 a bottle.

- Bucko - 03-24-2002

The cheapest that I have seen it is $23 a bottle, at Sam's in Chicago.

- Kcwhippet - 03-24-2002

It's $29 in our shop (when we have it).

- youmng - 03-25-2002

I have paid more for it. Might be that our sin tax here is high or the dealer rip me off but it does not matter if the wine is really good.

Another wine that I love is from Hamilton botrytis infected Nobel Semillion Sauvignon Blanc (McLaren Vale,Down Under). The aroma is intense. The wine is slightly creamy and acidity hmmm... how do you put it, soft. I can't make a distinction of what fruits it taste like but definitely a pleasure to drink. Anyone of you tried it?