WineBoard
white wine to serve with appetizers - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: white wine to serve with appetizers (/thread-861.html)

- kelbelvt - 11-08-2005

I am looking for any suggestions for a nice white wine to serve with appetizers. Any thoughts???

- Kcwhippet - 11-08-2005

Welcome to the WineBoard. Depends on the appetizers because there are many diferent white wines with very different tastes and characteristics. So, what apps are you planning on serving?

- Georgie - 11-08-2005

I had the same question a while back. Someone on this board recommended Prosecco, which I've stuck with ever since. It's bubbly, festive, and tastes good with a wide variety appetizers.

- kelbelvt - 11-08-2005

Thanks for the quick responses..

I am not sure what the apps are going to be.. I will have to post once I know to see if that helps with a suggestion.

As for Prosecco, I would love to give it a try. What can you tell me about the wine? Sweet? Dry? light? I'm not much of a wine expert so I am not sure of the "official language" of wine tasting...

- Georgie - 11-08-2005

Prosecco is the poor man's champagne. I just love it. It's not especially dry.

- kelbelvt - 11-10-2005

So the continuation of my request: Appetizers are :
Shrimp wrapped in Appetizers are : Shrimp wrapped in rugalla cheese and prosciutto ham and a red pepper hummus served with a chip/cracker....

Any white wine suggestions????

- Innkeeper - 11-10-2005

A Riesling Kabinett or a Vouvray from the Loire Valley.

- kelbelvt - 11-10-2005

Thank you so much for your suggestion - I will have to give one of them a try..

- brappy - 11-12-2005

"So the continuation of my request: Appetizers are :
Shrimp wrapped in Appetizers are : Shrimp wrapped in rugalla cheese and prosciutto ham and a red pepper hummus served with a chip/cracker....
Any white wine suggestions????"

I like the Kabinett suggestion. The Vouvray is good also if you have time to wade through all the crappy ones to find the gems. Reisling in general would be a good bet, however, I would seek these wines from Australia (ie:Grosset or Goundry). I would also look in Spain, an Albarino, or Verdelho. Possibly even an UNoaked Chardonnay from about anywhere.

Hummus is difficult to pair with wine as the flavors are too sharp. But I'm sure you'll find something. Have fun.

- Innkeeper - 11-12-2005

Hi Brappy, and welcome to the Wine Board. We are always glad to have someone with your experience around here, just as we always try to help the novices. Those were great additions you added with the possible exception of the Rieslings from Oz. Haven't tried the Grosset or the Goundry, but those we have tried were delightfully bone dry. Not sure they work with these appetizers. We are also big fans of most unoaked Chardonnays from anywhere.

- brappy - 11-13-2005

Innkeeper,

Thanks for the welcome. Not much experience, just a love for both wine and food. I'll contribute where I can.

Try these rieslings as I believe you'll find they do match with these apps. Of course, the chef of the dishes could change the outcome of the match with a little tweaking; ie: thicker cut prosciuto, using Smithfield, Va ham instead of Italian, diferent cheese, the freshness of the shrimp, etc. But.... these wines are great without food as well. So give it a shot.

thanks again, brap.