WineBoard
sancerre - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: sancerre (/thread-86.html)

- joeyz6 - 11-06-2001

What goes with a good Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc, '99 Henri Bourgeois La Bourgeoise in this case)?

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2001

A Great Lakes whitefish, sauteed and covered with a herby white sauce; served with green peas and boiled red potatoes. Or the same thing with skinless, boneless chicken breast.

- Bucko - 11-06-2001

Shellfish

- Thomas - 11-06-2001

shellfish too!

- Botafogo - 11-06-2001

A dozen raw followed by a dozen Rockefeller (oysters that is)! Or, a classic match is goat cheese.....

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2001

A jazzed up bechamel sauce over a bland fish or chicken matches nicely with a Sancerre. Nothing wrong with shellfish either.

- mrdutton - 11-06-2001

Not only that but them arsters are in season these days.

Me bro lives in Panama City and he swears by them from that bay nearby with all them indian letters that I'm hard pressed to spell. Appa-latch-a-cola or sumppin' like that. He says they be the best arsters in the world.

Now I'm not so sure about that, being a fan of Eastern Shore arsters from Assateague and Chincoteague (don't get on me about the spelling, them words is all foreign languages to me).

Then again the arsters from the Pacific Rim are pretty darn good also. Pacific Northwest from the US are decent, but the arsters from Hong Kong and New Zealand are pretty scrumptious also.

Guess I just like arsters. Now if you give me a couple dozen on the half-shell, a bottle of hot sauce and a half case of beer, I'll be a happy man.

Skip the hot sauce, throw in a small amount of lemon juice and a couple bottles of decent bubbly or Chablis and I'll guarantee you that I'll still be a happy man!

- joeyz6 - 11-06-2001

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything that isn't seafood?

- Innkeeper - 11-07-2001

Never saw a chicken swim.

- Thomas - 11-07-2001

last time I looked, goat cheese was not a seafood...

- joeyz6 - 11-07-2001

Sorry, I didn't read closely enough. IK, what's a bechamel sauce? It is dificult to prepare?

- Thomas - 11-07-2001

Joey, have you ever had moussaka (sp)? The sauce atop it is bechamel, and it does take a lot of time to prepare a good one.

- Drew - 11-07-2001

It's a standard white sauce, (butter,salt,flour and milk). The fun begins with additions of cheeses, onions, spices etc.

Drew

- Scoop - 11-08-2001

Broiled red snapper with a lemon-herb sauce is serious Sancerre territory.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 11-14-2001

Here is a nice, thick, yummy bechamel sauce that eliminates the saturated fat in the butter and whole milk. Put them back if you choose.

BECHAMEL SAUCE:

1/4 C Light olive oil
1/4 C Flour
2 C Skim milk
3/4 tsp Granulated onion (onion powder)
1/8 tsp Ground marjoram
1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp Ground white pepper

Whisk flour into oil with seasonings. Warm up in sauce pan. Warm milk in microwave, add to sauce. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and simmer five minutes.