WineBoard
1996 Penfolds 707 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: 1996 Penfolds 707 (/thread-8529.html)

- winoweenie - 07-24-2008

Steve W brought this along with another bottle I'll post on below for lunch today. Age agrees with this bottling. Still deep ruby and loads of mature aromas hit the schnozz. Deep, solid red and purple fruits hit the palate. Solid entry, weighty center and a 4&1/2 lapper finish. Dead at TTOIG. No way this sucker gets any better Jose. At least a solid 92. Have no idea on price or alc but am sure both were moderate. WW

- brappy - 07-27-2008

Just to add to this..... I tasted a vertical of the 707 two weeks ago..... I was working so didn't actually take notes. I really didn't have the time. But I did jot down thoughts:

'80 - Some oxidation; nicely aged; elegant red fruits and great balance

'82 - Red fruits; Tar on the nose; Very bright red fruit; Beautiful acid balance and long finish

'83 - Nose is a bit minty or like eucalyptus; Palate is a bit weedy; Good, not great

'84 - Nose of red fruits with tobacco and tea leaf; same on the palate with sweeter fruit; Great wine

'85 - Pretty big green streak here; Palate is absolutely fabulous; great red and dark fruits; Great balance

'86 - Sweet fruit on the nose; Great red cherry fruit; Touch of tea leaves; great balance; Extremely elegant

'87 - Bit of black pepper over red fruit; Also a touch of dust; Wonderful fruit; Very balanced; Great wine

'88 - Lots of tea and coffee; Good, not great

'89 - Somewhat disjointed

'90 - Some stewed fruit on the nose; Fruit is somewhat dried; Off bottle?

'91 - Great red fruit; Some dried cherries also; Great acid balance; Super bright fruit; Extremely well made

'92 - Bit of black pepper on the red fruit; Outstanding fruit; Bright on the palate

'93 - Great sweet red fruit; Elegant; Same on palate; Outstanding wine

'94 - Tea and spices with red fruit; Not the best fruit here; Good balance

'96 - Tea and red fruit; Great red fruit on the palate; wonderful balance

'97 - Perfect combination of acid and fruit; Elegance everywhere; Wonderful balance

'98 - A bit more tea leaf than the '97, but totally spot on

'99 - Not much happening here; Seems to be sleeping

'01 - some hints of caramel on the nose and palate; Otherwise unspectacular

'02 - I took no legible notes

'04 - Nose is a bit muted; Great young red fruit

'05 - Totally huge; Opulent; Touch of chocolate over red fruit; Outstanding wine....

All but the '87 were tasted out of magnum. We tasted many other Penfolds wines that day but this flight was truly the highlight. Peter Gago, Chief Winemaker, is a pleasure to be around. His enthusiasm is contagious.

mark

ps - skipped vintages were only because the wine was not made those years.

Edit to add the ps

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 07-27-2008).]

- winoweenie - 07-27-2008

Tankee Mark. This has always been one of my favorite cabs from Aussie. Have cellard and still have some 92, 97 and 05. Will revisit the 92 shortly.WW