WineBoard
Air New Zealand Wine Awards Tastings. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Air New Zealand Wine Awards Tastings. (/thread-8508.html)

- Skeeter - 11-26-2003

Headed to a wine store on Aucklands North shore tonight for a tasting of selected Gold Medalists from this years "Air New Zealand Wine Awards." Joined a friendly (And good-humoured) crowd of regulars and tried an even dozen bottles. We tasted blind, which was a first for me, and probably an excellent learning experience. Here's my TN's, supplimented with observations from the assorted drink-ees.

2003 Cape Campbell Sauvignion Blanc: Easily pickable as a SB from the fruity, passionfruit aroma. After "armpit" was mentioned, I took another whiff and picked up the sweaty character myself. Nice long finish, very smooth and a very nice drop. NZ$15.95

2003 Cairnbrae "The Stones" Sauvignon Blanc: Sweeter and subtler than the previous SB, with lychees and peach. Less acid too, smooth as silk and eminantly drinkable. I prefered this one, the father-in-law leaned toward the Cape Campbell. Different strokes, diffferent folks, huh? Gold medal AND trophy at the awards. NZ$14.95

2002 Spy Valley Chardonnay: Big, bold, buttery chardonnay. Great mouthfeel, not overly-oaky with a citrus-y finish. "Two Thumbs" is scrawled on my TN. I must have liked this one lots. NZ$16.95

2002 Selaks Founders Reserve Chardonnay: I'd tried this one before, but didn't pick it on the blind test. Subtle, balanced and smooth, and ready for drinking now. Most people loved it, I was a little less enthused. (I'd trample you for a bottle of their F.R Late Harvest Reisling, though...)

2002 Villa Maria Single Vinyard Keltern Chardonnay: Good nose, nice mouthfeel and a combination of tangy aftertaste plus a little buttery oak. We were advised to let this baby rest a year or two to really develop. (If we could get it, that is... limited quantaties were available.) Jim (The Father-in-law) gave it a big tick of approval. Gold medal and trophy. NZ$36.95

Esk Valley Pinot Gris: The first bottle I was unable to pick the grape variety of. (But I was pretty stoked to have got the first 5.) Oily and sweet on the palate, with the general consenous of the room leaning to "sultana" for flavour. Not really me, though... I'm yet to find a pinot gris that appeals to my tastebuds. VERY limited quantities... in fact, the store had just EIGHT bottles left! NZ$25.95

2003 Forrest Estate Gewurztraminer: Incredible fruit-driven nose, but I was hard-pressed to get a thing from the taste. The room picked lychees and, oddly enough, Brylcreem. (? Right-o...) Jim liked it better than the Pinot Gris, I was left cold by it. (But I could sniff it all day long.) NZ$24.95

2002 Spy Valley Pinot Noir: The first red caused some spirited debate from the tasters. Smooth and smoky with some nice tannis on the tongue. Beautiful color, almost plum-juice like. Other comments were 'dusty' and pretty much any berry you could name. Could I (the supposed non-red man) drink this one? Why yes. Yes, I could. Excellent. NZ$26.95

2002 Esk Valley Black Label Merlot: Deep purple, smooth, nice drying finish. I deteced a whiff of woodsmoke, the floor advanced "plums", "chocolate" and "leather". (Getting fairly specific in fact... "Jaguar Leather", as opposed to "BMW Leather." Can't say I've riddden in either, recently.) A steal at NZ$21.00. You could have a red-convert, Winoweenie!

2002 Vidal Estate Soler Syrah: The easiet red to pick, with masses of peppery aromas. (The only debate was beteween white and black pepper. We quibble over terms...) Blackberry, mocha and according to my TN's it was "awesome". Just blew me away. (That's 3 for 3... go you reads!) Try telling me Kiwi reds are still inferior to our whites and I'll call you a liar. Champion Reserve Wine of the show, NZ$33.95. Limited quanatites.

2002 Kim Crawford "Reka": We finished up with a late harverst reisling. Sweet passionfruit and marmalade flavours. I spent more time enjoying this than I did taking notes, but I LIKE stickies. Lots. This was a good one. NZ$23.95/300ml bottle

So, a fun, educational night... and one I hope to repeat, as often as my work schedule allows. (The store has a weekly tasting with a 15 dollar cover. I think that's money well spent, huh?) [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: On re-reading, I noticed I only had eleven wines there. The 12th was a Morton Brut NV sparkling. No notes, but not bad. (Though I don't really go for bubbles too often.)

[This message has been edited by Skeeter (edited 11-26-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 11-26-2003

Great report Skeets!

- Skeeter - 11-26-2003

You be welcome, IK. [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 11-26-2003

Terrific notes--I detect a blossoming Kiwine writer...