WineBoard
1998 Rosemount GSM - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: 1998 Rosemount GSM (/thread-8411.html)

- mrdutton - 11-30-2000

My local wine shop guy got 6 cases to go between 5 of his stores.......... and he already had advance orders for 2 cases worth.

I got three bottles and he said he'd try to accomodate me for more if I wished. The price was about $21.00 a bottle without a case discount.

Anyone have TN's on this potential beauty?

I've just gotten mine home today from the shop and have to let them rest for a while before I pop one open.

- Thomas - 12-01-2000

5 of his stores? IN NY State one is allowed to own only one license. What am I doing here?

- mrdutton - 12-01-2000

In Virginia even the Grocery stores are allowed to sell beer and wine.......!!!

Come on down, Foodie, and start a chain.... We need some good wine stores here. Problem is getting the wine. It is a closed state, no reciprocity here. You are under the thumb of the distributors here.

- mrdutton - 12-19-2000

Well the local wine guru said someting about, "I heard we should cellar this stuff for a while."

Well, that's fine except I don't have the facility for cellaring yet. So I popped one open and it was pretty darn good.

Beautiful deep ruby color, wonderful clarity (I could read through it), and fruit, fruit and more fruit on the nose and the palate. One could almost swear this was a sweet red were it not for the fact that it is a dry red wine. Nice feel in the mouth with a bit of velvet, decent acid and a long spicy, earthy finish.

Wish I could keep one around for another year or two, just to see what the tannin would do to it............

However, I think this one is quite drinkable right now. Kinda glad I have three more of them babies to consume!

- Drew - 02-27-2001

Popped this on 2/17. Blend of 50%Grenache - 40%Syrah - 10%Mourvedre. Check out the difference between Dutton’s notes and mine.

Opaque black/purple. Nose of sweet oak, blueberry, tobacco and black fruits. Flavors of blackberry, tobacco, black cherry and pepper. Tannins appear on the mid palate with a medium length, astringent finish. Nice wine but not overly complex given the blend. Overhyped maybe? 14.5%Alc/vol.

Drew

- Thomas - 03-01-2001

14.5% alcohol; Dutton, therein is the perception of sweetness.

- Robbie1533 - 03-03-2001

My question is to Mr Dutton...where is your local wine shop in VB? is it next to Coyote cafe>>>???

Rob

- winoweenie - 03-03-2001

Hi there Robbie and welcome to the board.Know this was to MrD but knowing his shyness thot I'd jump in as you used my initials. Last I looked, Marks' Coyote Cafe was in bootiful downtown Santa Fe. "Kaint bemember any alcohol purverers nearby howmsoebber. WW

- chittychattykathy - 03-04-2001

Drew,
More like over-priced!
(its still nice though)

- Drew - 03-04-2001

CCK, I think I got too excited given the coverage of this wine and let down when it wasn't a knockout in the first round. You're right....it is a nice wine. I'll tell you though, I slipped back to my source wine store with the '94 Barrelli Creek cabs, bought a bunch for $17.88 per which blows away the $20+ price for the GSM.

Drew

- winoweenie - 03-04-2001

TOO SMART THAT DREW MAN.ww

- jock - 03-05-2001

It is a good wine but not in any way worthy of its WS score. It is also overpriced for its quality.

If you can find Torbreck Woodcutter's (similar blend) mentioned in another string it is about the same price and blows the Rosemount away. If you think the Rosemount is hard to find I'm afraid the Torbreck will be next to impossible but worth the search if you find it.