WineBoard
prime rib - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: prime rib (/thread-839.html)

- Georgie - 06-03-2003

I'm having a dinner party on Saturday night. Prime rib is the main course. Give me something $10-$20 range, easy to find and good for people who are rather inexperienced wine drinkers like myself. I'm trying the roast on the rotisserie, so any pointers from you cooks as to seasoning would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 06-03-2003).]

- Bucko - 06-04-2003

"Give me something $10-$20 range, easy to find and good....."

Send me some of that stuff that you are smoking.

I can name a few, but none you'll find except:

1999 Kendall-Jackson, Cabernet Sauvignon, Vintner's Reserve, California, $16. Dark ruby in color, the Cab gives off aromas of tea, herbs, black cherries and currants. Well-balanced with flavors mirroring the nose, this wine offers good value. 86/89.

2000 Geyser Peak, Merlot, Sonoma County, California, $17, 53,000 cases. Dark ruby, with aromas of cherries, raspberries, tobacco and cedar. Medium-bodied with rounded tannins, the wine is quite crisp and fruity on the palate, with nice complexity for the price class. 87/89.

2000 Hogue, Merlot, Genesis, Columbia Valley, Washington, $15, 28,000 cases. This dark ruby Merlot offers up cassis, berries and herbs on the nose. Gobs of black cherries and berries fill the palate. Medium-full bodied, the chewy tannins need bottle time. 86/87.

- Kcwhippet - 06-04-2003

Prime rib on the rotisserie? Absolutely no seasoning at all. Let the goodness of the meat speak for itself. A bit of salt and freshly ground pepper at the table with horseradish (of course) is all you'll need.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2003

Closer to your $10 PP would be a nice cab or blend thereof from OZ. Bleasdale Cabernet and Cabernet/Shiraz are excellent, but there a zillion nice ones easier to find.

I would treat the ribs to a little salt and pepper while they were rotating.

- Thomas - 06-04-2003

I am partial to an olive oil/garlic rub on ribs.

Georgie, it is difficult to recommend particular wines especially knowing you are in a locale where so much is hard to find. My suggestion is that you get two bottles of cabernet-based wine, two different producers, and then see which one you would want to buy again. .

- Botafogo - 06-04-2003

You should be able to find any number of nice Ripasso Valpolicellas in your price range, even in Jersey! They are classic with this sort of dish and great qpr to boot.

- Georgie - 06-04-2003

I don't know why it's so hard to find some things. I don't exactly live in the sticks. We are in a densely populated, mid-Atlantic coastal county that is considered a suburb of NYC. I called the best wine shop around, one that is privately owned, not a franchise, and asked for things like Buehler White Zin and Finger Lakes wines with no luck. I'll just have to take your advice follow general guidelines. I hate it when I get excited about a wine I read about here on the Board and then can't get my hands on it. But as always thank you for your good advice.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2003

I would bet that even your guy/gal would have Jacob's Creek Cabernet. Very steady, year after year, and less than $10.

- hotwine - 06-04-2003

Georgie, what fuel will you be using with your rotisserie? That can make a difference in your wine selection.

- Georgie - 06-04-2003

It has an electric heating element.

- Bucko - 06-04-2003

Electric! Gasp! Time for YOU to sit in the corner, little missy......

- Kcwhippet - 06-04-2003

The Showtime Rotisserie is a great little machine. Meats come out nice and juicy and never overcooked if you set the timer per the directions.

- Georgie - 06-04-2003

Oh, Bucko, you're just so hard to please! Thanks KC, I've been happy with my little Showtime thus far!

- Georgie - 06-08-2003

Here's what we ate and drank:
Appetizers--Herbed Yogurt Cheese with crackers,
Stuffed Clams,
Baby spinach salad with Parmesan Balsamic Vinaigrette
Mionetto Prosecco Brut

Main course:
Rotisserie Boneless Rib Roast (which came out great on my little Showtime, BTW.)
Fresh asparagus
Herb roasted baby red bliss potatoes
2001 Bolla Valpolicella
2000 Petrolo Terre Di Galatrona

Dessert
Peach cobbler and blueberry cobbler with creme fraiche and/or vanilla ice cream

All three wines were very enjoyable. I think I have grown considerably in my wine selections, thanks to this Board. Six months ago I'd have bought a couple of bottles of Arbor Mist and would have thought I really had something!

- hotwine - 06-08-2003

You did well, Georgie. Congrats on a nice dinner party. However..... we really need to talk about that Bolla. There's lots of nice juice out there that doesn't cost 14 arms and three legs, that just beats that Bolla Val all to pieces. Suggest you consult Foodie next time, and ask him to lead you away from the sin of that Val.

I had a case of that stuff.... the '91.... that I bought about '93, and it took until late last year to give it all away. Mercy, that was bad stuff!

- Georgie - 06-08-2003

Hmmm. That was my first taste of Valpolicella and I thought it was pretty good, having nothing by which to compare. I have to admit that I had a gut feeling in the liquor store that it probably wasn't the best one to pick. The only other one they carried was Folinari in a big bottle that I was afraid would go to waste. I'll look for some other ones. That's the fun of this wine thing. You just never run out of new ones to try. I've had the Petrolo before and liked it a lot. As far as the dinner party, some of the people I love most in this world were with me last night and it didn't really didn't matter what we ate or drank! But thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying!

- Thomas - 06-08-2003

Georgie, that liquor store needs someone who cares about wine--the selection seems woefully mediocre.

- hotwine - 06-08-2003

The Folinari's not bad; used as the house label by my favorite local Italian ristorante. But have never seen it in smaller-format bottles, always mags.

- wondersofwine - 06-09-2003

Someone enlighten me about the Petrolo Terre di Galatrona--what region and grapes and what is it like?

- Kcwhippet - 06-09-2003

It's 70% Sangiovese and 30% Merlot from Tuscany.