WineBoard
'04 Yalumba Shiraz Viognier - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: '04 Yalumba Shiraz Viognier (/thread-8332.html)

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2006

2004 Yalumba, Shiraz 93%-Viognier 7%, South Australia ($9.99 NH Liq Store). This is not the Barossa bottling that costs $7 more and has been getting some good press lately, but a very nice jug of wine in itself. Alcohol level: 14%.

If 1% of something can noticeably alter the character of a wine a Dan Berger strongly suggests, then 7% can move mountains. The Viognier in it hits your nose like an express train along with a combo of red and black fruit that also visit the tongue tip. A wild complexity of fruit, spice, and silky savoury subtlety affect the palate, and the finish lingers and lingers.

I saved the other half for some lamb tomorrow night, but am just quaffing the first half tonight after an evening of hard driving. After getting out of Bev's doctor's appointment at 4:30 (no problems) we drove down to Gloucester, MA to visit friends who were in from Omaha on an Elder Hostel. Did manage to have some nice fried clams down there with a couple of brews, but needed a "calm down" after getting home around 11 PM.

Do recommend this one highly.

- Innkeeper - 09-21-2006

Other half tonight with charcoal grilled lamb steaks with mesquite chips, corn on the cob, and salad. Simply wonderful.

- brappy - 09-21-2006

I believe the wine is from the "Y" series. I like the use of viogner w/ shiraz but after about 5% it gets a bit much. The floral component (from the viogner) on the nose and a smaller affect on the palate is great and really freshens up the wine...... until a certain point. At least I thought this until I tasted this one. Good job blending this wine. Interesting part is I believe they co-fermented this wine which means, I think anyway, they had to blend by using the taste of the initial grape juice alone. THAT, if that's what happened, is impressive.

I tasted all the current vintages of most of Yalumba's wines this year. I was also able to taste a broken verticle of the "Signature" series. I believe they were the '86, '92 '94 '98, '01, '02, '03, but could be off on the '94 by a year either way. The favorite, by myself and the general concensus, was the '98. Great wines aging beautifully. If any have a chance to aquire some of these, do so. You'll be pleased.

This winery makes too many wines, but hell, they make them well so what do I know?

mark

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2006

We have also enjoyed their "Unwooded Chardonnay" in the past. Haven't seen it lately.

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2008

We popped an '06 tonight ($10.99 NH Liq Store). Alcohol level: 14%. It is the "Y" series, and is much the same if not better than ever. Floral fruit on the nose and upfront, more fruit with pepper and spice in middle; and a lovely finish.

We matched it with charcoal grilled (no rain) lamb steaks that had been marinated in mint and lemon mayonnise; yellow squash nuked with onion, EVOO, s&p, fine herbs, and grated parmesean; and baked potato.

- Innkeeper - 08-25-2008

Second bottle tonight with charcoal grilled lamburgers, grilled corn on the cob, and sliced tomatoes from others. Everything including the wine went great together. Great Monday night.