WineBoard
2001 Wirra Wirra "Scrubby Rise" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Wirra Wirra "Scrubby Rise" (/thread-8330.html)

- Drew - 02-07-2003

This is a blend of 50% Shiraz, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 15 % Petit Verdot. Beautiful "French" funky nose of black fruit, mushroom, bret and a hint of a zinfandel nose. Like flavors that are well balanced and elegant. Smooth and refined with a nice finish, fine tannins and rich flavor, this wine is a great everyday wine at $10 before case price. 13.5%Alc/vol. Very nice and covers all the bases. Low oak too! I wouldn't have guessed Aussie.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2003

Sounds neat. Any idea how many cases were imported?

- Drew - 02-08-2003

Don't know, IK, but I did send an email to the winery. BTW, Wirra Wirra is Aboriginal for "amongst the gums". They also make a Scrubby Rise White which is a Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay blend which has received high praises.

Drew

- ShortWiner - 02-10-2003

Does sound good--it's on my list of things to look for. I'll post if I find it in NYC.

- Drew - 02-13-2003

Here's the response from Wirra Wirra about the availability in the Maine area.

"Aha, thanks for the clarification.
Unfortunately, this particular item is not yet in Maine. It is
available through our distributor in Massachusetts, if that is of any
use to you at all. I'd be interested in helping-- the more our
distributors hear the voices of consumers (and press) requesting the
Wirra Wirra wines, the easier it will be for them to place the orders.
Best regards,"
Tamara

Tamara Landre
Brand Manager
Wilson Daniels Ltd.
tlandre@wilsondaniels.com
www.wilsondaniels.com
tel 707.967.1846 fax 707.963.8566

Drew

- Drew - 03-02-2003

Popped another of these beauties last night and paired with beef medalions smothered with home made beef gravy kicked up a notch with Bermuda Black Seal Rum, twice baked potatoes and field greens with crumbled stilton. This is one of the food friendliest wines I've come across in a while. This bottle seemed more floral to me with the Petit Verdot really standing out. Eileen claimed more than her half.

Drew

- ShortWiner - 03-03-2003

Found a bottle locally and may pop it tonight. Any advice on breathing time, Drew?

- Drew - 03-03-2003

I'd give it 1/2 hour to open up....it's pretty well ready to go. Post your notes after you pop.

DRew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 03-03-2003).]

- ShortWiner - 03-04-2003

Opened this last night and was rather impressed. My notes were similar to your first set, Drew. The funk on the nose was a nice touch, and combined with rich red and a little black fruit on the palate, it was great. Maybe a hint of chocolate in the finish, which lasted longer than a $10 wine should. Enough acid to be quite mouthwatering, which I think is why it is so food-friendly. I had it with a lamb chop and a pan sauce made with a little of the wine. Great call on this one, Drew, thanks!

Matt

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 03-04-2003).]