WineBoard
Fairview Goats du Roam - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Fairview Goats du Roam (/thread-8327.html)

- lizardbrains - 05-31-2003

Some friends and I went to an Italian restaurant last night in Encinitas, and they let me choose the wine. We decided the cheaper the better, so I was hoping the wine would be good.

I chose the Fairview Goats du Roam (2002?/2001?) for $19. It's a red. Dry. Medium body & tannins? Anyways, it was great - my mouth really liked it! I had veal in a tomatoe sauce, and I thought it complimented just fine.

Which reminds me... does veal count as a red meat? (Even though the color of it is white?) It is beef, right? (but just a baby cow)

Has anyone heard of this wine? I thought it was delicious, and would love to buy some bottles for home.

By the way, this was the first time the waiter served the wine to me - showing me the bottle, opening it in front of me, giving me a taste, waiting for my approval, and then pouring for the table. I felt so smart!!!! (None of my friends know much about wine. Not that I know a whole lot, but I have made an effort to learn.)

-Elizabeth

- Innkeeper - 05-31-2003

That is a nice wine Liz. The price was barely tolerable for a restaurant. It retails for around $9. Anyhow, you did good.

- Drew - 06-01-2003

Here's a little bit on this tasty South African wine.

Drew

"One afternoon at harvest time, my mischievious son Jason and his friend Justin let the goats out of their tower and sent them for a walkabout amongst the vines. As in the legend of the Yemeni goat herd - whose roaming flock first discovered the joys of coffee beans - they picked out the best and tastiest fruit."

The vintner has blended together grapes that would never be allowed in the Côte du Rhône. Fairview lists the blend as:

33% Pinotage, 22% Shiraz, 13% Grenache, 13% Carignan, 10% Cinsault, 5% Gamay Noir and 4% Mourvèdre.

- Thomas - 06-01-2003

Liz, veal that is milk fed becomes a white meat. In fact, such veal goes quite well with Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and Riesling.

- Kcwhippet - 06-01-2003

Liz,

If you liked the Goats du Roam, try their Goat Rotie. Wonderful wine.

- ShortWiner - 06-02-2003

I like the "GDR" too, and it can be found almost everywhere here in NYC. The Goat Roti I'm sure is good too, but much more expensive.

- wondersofwine - 06-02-2003

If the veal is prepared with a cream sauce (Rahmschnitzel) or Piccata (lemon and capers), etc. I usually go with Riesling. If it is in a tomato sauce or a heartier preparation, I might choose a red. Osso bucco (one 'c' or two?) would call for a hearty red. Had it served with Jed Steele Catfish Zinfandel at a wine dinner in Nantucket.

- lizardbrains - 06-04-2003

Thanks for all of your responses. I will definitely try this wine again. :-) And that's a neat story - I tried to read that from the bottle during dinner, but our conversation was too intriguing!

- tiny ham - 06-05-2003

Lizardbrains - which restaurant in Encinitas? I live in Encinitas - hubby and I moved here from FL a few years ago - we're always wanting to try new places. I'm curious if the restaurant was Vigilucci's - I have been wanting to try Vigilucci's for awhile but would like to know how it is.

- lizardbrains - 06-11-2003

It was Trattoria I Truilli. What a great place! We got there at 6pm on a Friday - perfect timing before the crowd! I don't like to go to Italian restaurants (due to the fact that I'd rather not pay for something I can make at home: pasta), but this one was GREAT! I definitely look forward to returning!

Oh, and just to warn you... it's a definite Trattoria... it's a bit loud once it fills with people! But the atmosphere, service, and food are all great! (And the tiramisu would feed 2 easily.)

- Georgie - 09-19-2003

Tried the 2002 tonight. I thought it was delicious! Paid $8.99, 14% ABV I was a little tipsy after two glasses, I have to admit.