WineBoard
4th O' July Shenanegans - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: 4th O' July Shenanegans (/thread-830.html)

- andrawes76 - 07-02-2009

Managed to finagle some Axis back strap from a buddy. He's now a hunting guide, so he's throwing me all these exotic meats. Going to cook this up with some exotic water buffalo burgers. Going to pull this meal together with some 05 Shirvington Cabernet Sauvignon. What are you guys going to do?

- Innkeeper - 07-02-2009

We are having four adults over including two daughters, and plan (God willing) to have the original menu of grilled hamburgers and franks. Otherwise we'll cook 'em indoors. Bev is making potato salad and cole slaw. Drinks? Soda and Shipyard Summer Ale!

- Kcwhippet - 07-03-2009

I'm not really sure how many are going to be here - probably about 20 or maybe a few more. Anyway, we'll be having the usual regulars of burgers and dogs, corn on the cob, baked beans and potato salad. Also going to marinate some really huge shrimp (oxymoron??) in orange and lime juices, lime zest, evoo, Dijon and thyme overnight, then grill tomorrow. Of course, I'm going to make a batch (double batch, in fact - 144 pieces) of my now world famous Buffalo Wings. SIL from NY, who works for a beer distributor, is bringing a few cases of Yeungling because they've left all of New England out of their distribution network. I'd prefer Blanche du Bruxelles or Hoegaarden, or even Castelain, but free beer is free beer. Might even drag out a Zin or two, as well. Gonna have fun and food.

- Thomas - 07-03-2009

We will spend July 3 testing all our umbrellas, and probably eat local grass fed lamburgers on the fourth, cooked in or outdoors.

One reason this holiday no longer appeals to me: it's only five days from my birthday, and I'm becoming too ancient to like the approach to landing...

- Drew - 07-03-2009

Eileen and I are going over our friend Jeff's house and bringing my WoRLD famous Jerk marinated pork tenderloin for his grill. Also bringing a bottle of Spanish tank fermented garnacha the 2007 Altovinum EVODIA, a bottle of Liar's Dice zin and a bottle of Carpene Malvolti Prosecco for the girls [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img].

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-03-2009).]

- VouvrayHead - 07-03-2009

Veggie BBQ and chili at my folks' place. Probably some Domaine du Pouy and then a Petite Sirah.

- winoweenie - 07-03-2009

Grilling some Copper River Salmon, making some red bell peppers stuffed with turkey and basil meatloaf infused with truffle oil and baby bella mushrooms, maybe a nice tosed salad with raspberry vinagerette and CB will probably force me to open some wine.
Then put me big fat patootie in the Lazy-Boy and watch the Williams sister tear the cover offn' them poor inflated puff balls. Happy Firecracker all! WW

- hotwine - 07-03-2009

Dunno.... She-Who-Rules-The-Kitchen hasn't said yet. Would pefer a chunk of cow but we'll see.

- Thomas - 07-03-2009

Hotwine,

While walking on the road yesterday, my dog and I were chased by quite a large cow. It was funny indeed.

- hotwine - 07-03-2009

Foodie, we never know when one of those old gals will get her dander up and try to stick us in the gut. Got to stay alert and don't turn your back.

Have now been informed we're having chicken alfredo tonight but no decision yet on tomorrow.

Back to the subject of the cow.... it was probably your dog that got her attention. To her, all canines look alike, whether we call them dogs, coyotes or wolves. The cow won't discriminate, she'll go after them all.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 07-03-2009).]

- dananne - 07-03-2009

Not sure what we're eating, but I have 2 wines I'm considering -- one American (Cali Cab) and the other French (Beaujolais). The American is obvious -- it's Independence Day. The French as an homage -- they helped us, and we'd have never won it without them. So, which should we drink -- the American or the French?

Of course, we could make the question moot by drinking both, but we've got to be fresh for our drive back to Atlanta on Sunday. We'll leave at around 5 a.m., so we probably should tone down the Saturday evening celebrations and limit ourselves to just one. So, the question remains -- which one?

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 07-03-2009).]

- hotwine - 07-03-2009

She says she wants cow, wirh pit-roasted corn on the cob. Cow will likely be in the form of filet mignon, which will call for a Bordeaux from the late '90s or '00.

Dan, would choose the wine based on the food.

- dananne - 07-03-2009

Hotsie, yes, that would be the logical way to go about it. But, we're doing it backwards, so we'll plan our menu once we've decided on what we're drinking [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 07-04-2009

No Question!!! Buy, Think, Drink AMERICAN. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-05-2009).]

- hotwine - 07-04-2009

Chose a naught-naught Fiefs de Lagrange and 'twer indeed a bootiful jug o' juice with vibrant fruit and solid backbone to deal with the cow. Very nice indeed. Didn't decant but poured two hours before din-din. Still sippin' sublimely.