WineBoard
Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon, years 2000 and 1999 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon, years 2000 and 1999 (/thread-8281.html)

- girlperson1 - 02-08-2003

I just picked up a bottle of Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 and a bottle of the same in vintage 1999 for $6.00 each!!

Anyone have any ideas as to what (hopefully delightful) surprises I might be in store for?

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2003

Hate to say it, but not as much as if you had bought the Rosemount equivalents. They should be refreshing though. Try the '99 first. The first line Lindemans (Bin##s) have been creeping downhill in recent years.

- Drew - 02-09-2003

Do agree. Have stopped buying Lindemans over the past several years as the quality just isn't there. So many other superior Aussies at the same price point.

Drew

- girlperson1 - 02-09-2003

Hi Drew and Innkeeper....

Can you make suggestions regarding any good Aussie wines that might be currently "out there"? Thanks.

- Drew - 02-09-2003

Sure, just check out this thread. I've been drinkn' pretty much nuttun but Aussies lately. Everything I've had from Thorne-Clark has been good, eg. Shearwater Shiraz, Shotfire Ridge Shiraz, Terra Barossa Shiraz. Penfolds Koonunga Hill and a ton of others in this thread all between $8 and $16 before case discount. I like Aussies and if I stumble on one that I like, I always buy case or mixed case which deducts an additional 10% to 20% turning that wine into a good one for daily drinking.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2003

First of all the first line of Rosemounts that sells for the same price as the Lindemans Bins is recommended. That is the line that has the stripes around the label diagonally. Their second line, the ones with the diamonds, and known as their Diamond Label line has been falling off in recent years just as the Lindeman first line has.

There is a new brand out in the last couple of years that is getting some good press. It is called Yellow Tail and it sells for about the same price as the first line Lindemans and Rosemounts. I'm trying my first one tonight, a shiraz, and will report back.

- Auburnwine - 02-09-2003

The Yellow Tail seems to be a very popular introductory Shiraz these days. I had some at a reception and found it not unpleasant, but unusually spritzy.

I strongly agree about the comments on Lindemans.

There are a number of smaller brands that are trying to get a foothold in the US these days and are offering lovely wines at brilliant introductory prices. I have come across several of these (such as Ghost Gum and Wishing Tree) for under $10 and found them to be quite satisfactory.

- girlperson1 - 02-09-2003

I've heard good things as well about the Yellow Tail product. Next time I get over to the store, I'll pick a few up and try them.

- hotwine - 02-09-2003

I posted on the Yellow Tail in the Australia thread back in August: "A burst of red currant on the nose, with more of the same across the palate, and an interesting faint hint of tar on the finish. Quite a QPR." Paid $5.29 per at Costco and bought a case. That being said, it's OK, especially for the price. But if you were to stack it up as a quaffer against the Borsao from Spain, the Aussie would lose IMO. I've still got most of that first YT case still in the cellar.

- Innkeeper - 02-10-2003

2002!!! Yellow Tail, Shiraz, Southeastern Australia ($7.99 local [much less at Costco, Trader Vic, et al]). Had to remind myself that I was not getting a Beaujolais Nouveau. Australia is six months ahead of us, so this is like a 2001 1/2. Still a little young, I thought.

No problem. This is a lovely, highly drinkable shiraz. There is ample black fruit on the nose and upfront. Followed by spicy, oaky, earthy comlexity, and smooth, smooth tannin across the palate. The finish was quick. It held its own with a garlicy, rare roasted lamb rack. That was impressive. I would rate it higher than the comparable Lindemans and Rosemount. With food heavy food it is just fine, but agree with hotwine, that for simple quaffing the Spainard at the same price would be better.

- ShortWiner - 02-10-2003

Girlperson, it might be interesting for you to taste the Yellowtail or one of the others mentioned here next to the Lindeman's you bought. Nothing like a comparative tasting to show you the differences between wines.

- Auburnwine - 02-10-2003

Comparison is THE way to learn about wine: taste several shirazes with several friends and compare and contrast what you like and don't like. That is lots of fun.

Maybe try something a little more upscale like the Greg Norman Shiraz or one of the cheaper Penfolds.

I stand by my comments on the McPherson as an above-average and low-cost shiraz.

- wondersofwine - 02-10-2003

A Gallo distributor I know says they will be introducing Black Swan wines from Australia in my area very soon. Anyone have any experience with Black Swan?

- Auburnwine - 02-10-2003

They are here in the grocery stores.

Any word on them?