WineBoard
Need name of S. African Wine -- Hooper... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Need name of S. African Wine -- Hooper... (/thread-8265.html)

- mattm54 - 01-24-2001

I had a wine in a rest. the other day and cannot remember the name (of the wine). It was South African Sauv Blanc, and started with "Hooper". any ideas?

- hotwine - 01-24-2001

Checked the Larousse Encyclopedia with no joy. This sounds like a mission for the weasel - whoops! The feret! Drew, where are you?

- Innkeeper - 01-24-2001

Could it have been Bramton Sauvignon Blanc?

- Drew - 01-24-2001

I think this is your wine if the label has gold writing and the silhouettes
of two deer like animals also in gold.

Hoopenburg Vineyards

WELCOME TO HOOPENBURG
On the west side of Muldersvlei near Stellenbosch is one of the Cape's prime terroirs for fine wines.

Surrounded by a majestic range of mountains with a clear unobstructed view of Table Mountain, the farm with its beautiful homestead and tasting centre is blessed with an atmosphere of utter peace and tranquillity.

This boutique winery is the first member on the Stellenbosch Wine Route, comfortably located close to the N1, after a 30 minute drive from Cape Town.

OUR PEOPLE ARE OUR STRENGTH
Hoopenburg is a family concern and the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.

The creative soul of Ernst Gouws, backed by international training and experience, co-ordinates the wine-making process from the vineyards to the state of the art pressing and maturation cellar. His wife, Gwenda, is responsible for marketing the wine world wide. During the holiday season their two student daughters, Inke and Ezanne, and young son, Ernst, joins them.

TASTING AND WINE SALES

Monday to Friday 09h00 - 17h00
Saturday and Public Holidays 09h30 - 13h00
Closed on Sundays, Easter and Christmas.
Tasting fee applicable ( Refundable with any purchase of 6 bottles or more )
Telephone : +27 (0)21 884 4221/2
Facsimile : +27 (0)21 884 4904
E-mail : hoopen@new.co.za
PO Box 1233, Stellenbosch, 7599, South Africa

WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU.

HOW TO FIND US
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoopenburg is comfortably located close to the N1, after a 30 minute drive from Cape Town. Take Exit 39 off the N1 from Cape Town on the way to Paarl. Turn left off the R304 onto the R101.

CHARDONNAY 1998

The wine boasts a complexity of aromas which is in harmony with the subtle oak flavours and fruit acid. In the mouth flavours of buttered toast and fruit salad lingers. Oak matured for 6 months.

A versatile wine which can be enjoyed on its own or with Thai dishes, Turkey or fish in a creamy sauce.

Analysis: Alc: 13.36 pH: 3.22
Residual Sugar: 3.80 Total acid: 6.70

SHIRAZ 1998
A rich and fruity wine with soft flavours of plum and meat, enhanced by hints of peppercorn and mushroom. The spicy flavours linger on the aftertaste.

This wine has a maturation potential of at least another five years and is an ideal companion to lamb and mint sauce, venison or mushroom and spinach bake.

Analysis: Alc: 13.68 pH: 3.61
Residual Sugar: 3.5 Total acid: 5.90

PINOT NOIR 1999

This wine is brimming with succulent ripe strawberry and cherry flavours. It is very accessible now, but the good structure will ensure favourable maturation for at least another six years.

Enjoy on its own or with duck, chicken and pasta dishes. To be released early 2000

Analysis: Alc: 12.57 pH: 3.32
Residual sugar: 2.1 Total acid: 6.6

PINOTAGE 1998

A typical varietal wine with a combination of berry and ripe plums. These flavours follow through in the mouth and are enhanced by subtle hints of spice on the aftertaste.

This versatile wine is ideal to enjoy with ostrich and venison as well as young cheddar.

Analysis: Alc: 12.5 pH: 3.88
Residual sugar: 2.2 Total acid: 5.40

CABERNET SAUVIGNON 1997

A medium bodied wine with a pleasant berry richness and a touch of herbs on the nose. On the palate the typical blackcurrant fruit flavours are enhanced by hints of vanilla.

This wine can mature for at least another six years and is an ideal companion to roasts, stews and cold meats. Unwooded.

Analysis: Alc: 12.1 pH: 3.80
Residual sugar: 2.0 Total acid: 5.80

CABERNET SAUVIGNON 1998
Winemaker's Selection

A full-bodied wine with a pleasant berry richness and hints of herbs on the nose. The palate is well balanced with plum fruit and ripe soft tannins. Can mature for another eight years. Twelve months wood-matured.

Enjoy with meat dishes like veal piccata, lamb or shepherd's pie.

Analysis: Alc: 12.5 pH: 3.57
Residual sugar: 2.1 Total acid: 5.8

SAUVIGNON BLANC 1999

A full-bodied but very drinkable wine with a mixture of lively acidity, tropical flavours and gooseberry. The concentrated flavours linger in the mouth.

Ideal to enjoy with seafood such as perlemoen, crayfish and calamari.

Analysis: Alc: 12.5 pH: 3.36
Residual Sugar: 1.36 Total acid: 6.7

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 01-24-2001).]

- hotwine - 01-24-2001

Attaway, Drew!

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2001

Remind me not to commit any crimes around Baltimore.

- winoweenie - 01-25-2001

Specially anything that mis-identifies any-thin` from land of OZ. WW

- mrdutton - 01-25-2001

Oh pooh. He's just trying to catch-up with me. Remember, the longest single post in the history of the board.....

Oh how soon we forget!!! GRIN

- Drew - 01-25-2001

I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy!!

I could NEVER duplicate that posting, Mike. You truly are the POSTMASTER!

Drew

- winecollector - 01-26-2001

And I thought I had way too much time on my hands!

- mattm54 - 01-30-2001

Thanks Drew. That is it. This message board rocks.