WineBoard
Blind tasting of Australian Shiraz - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Blind tasting of Australian Shiraz (/thread-8249.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-24-2008

Last Saturday I attended a free semi-blind tasting of Australian Shiraz at Carolina Wine Company. I didn't attempt to guess which wine was which but wrote down very brief comments and scored each wine on a 100-pt. scale per retailer's wishes. I was rushed as I got there 30 minutes before closing time and wanted to also make some purchases. It was interesting that out of 8 wines tried, two of my three favorites were ones I have purchased in the past.

My top three I gave scores of 94, 93, and 92 points (more to compare wine-to-wine than to say this is necessarily a 94-pt. wine.)

My top wine (which I have purchased previously) was the 2003 DOG RIDGE DV7 SHIRAZ. My comments were nice nose, fruity berries with a little pepper spice. 94 pts.

My second wine was the more expensive 2003 DOG RIDGE MVP SHIRAZ. (This was the overall winner in the Raleigh and Charlotte CWC tastings.) My comments were rich, fruity, easy drinking, slight pepper on the finish. 93 pts.

My third wine (which I have purchased in the past and which won a gold medal in a Sydney competition) was the 2004 THORPE SHIRAZ. Once again I rated this higher than the 2004 Thorpe Shiraz Reserve (I gave the reserve 86 points.) 92 pts. Comments: dark, opaque, oaky nose, rich dark fruit, approachable.

Next at 89 points I had the 2003 MT. BILLY "ANTIQUITY" SHIRAZ (I have one bottle that I purchased without a prior tasting.) Dark and opaque, nice but tannic, slightly bitter finish, long finish, curranty and tobacco.

I gave 88 points to the 2004 SCHILD BAROSSA SHIRAZ. Tastes a little hot but approachable; calls for beef or lamb.

I ascribed 87 points to the 2005 GREENOCK CREEK SEVEN ACRE SHIRAZ. Only comment was dark berries.

Then the 2004 THORPE RESERVE SHIRAZ with 86 points--concentrated, lingering finish, dark raspberry.

My low score of the tasting, 84-85 points went to 2003 WYNN'S MICHAEL SHIRAZ (I usually like Wynn's Cabernet Sauvignon.) This came after the 2004 Thorpe Shiraz and Mt. Billy in order of tasting and I found it to taste a bit thin after the first two although viscous. Also less opaque than the first two.

I hope Carolina Wine Company will post further results and comments from the Raleigh and Charlotte store tastings.

- brappy - 06-30-2008

Very interesting Wonders. Of the wines you tasted, I would have undoubtedly liked the Greenock Creek the most. I wonder if the bottle was off. This one is usually a stunner.

mark

- wondersofwine - 06-30-2008

Have you had the 2004 Thorpe Shiraz and the Dog Ridge wines?

- brappy - 07-03-2008

Wonders,

I've not had either of those wines. I've had the others in your tasting. Just a couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed tasting the Wynns Michael in a vertical back to the '98. That was a treat. By the way, the '98 blew me away.

I've tasted the Greenock horizontal vertically several times and these wines always blow me away.

Although I haven't tasted through the Thorpe line-up, I do have a couple in the cellar and I'll try to dig them out.

The Dog Ridge I've never even heard of. Would love to taste these wines.

Greenock is usually so far ahead of most wines, so I have a hard time seeing it pushed below the others mentioned. I'm a pretty big fan of Chris Ringland; Love his style.

Would have gotten back to you sooner but work is kicking my Patootie (sp) (WW's word).

mark

Anyway, just opinions....

- wondersofwine - 07-03-2008

Mark, I know. It does all come down to opinions. Don't work so hard that your health suffers. Find some time for boating as an escape.

- Bucko - 07-03-2008

I've tried Thorpe and agree 100%. I've never had a Dog Ridge -- I'll have to seek that one out based on your rec. Thanks.

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2008

I did some searching on the web. The only importers listed for Dog Ridge in the USA are Turner Wine Imports in Morrisville, NC and Southern Oceans Trading System in Manassas, VA. Fred Howard and Dave and Jen Wright are listed as primary personnel in Dog Ridge team. Wines are also exported to Canada and Germany and sold in various Australian cities. Residents of many states can buy direct from tim@turnerwineimports.com.

Wines come from an elevated site overlooking McLaren Vale and it is a family business. Ratings of the 2002 and 2003 wines range from 88+ to 91 or 92 or 93 points but there are several comments about giving the wines a couple years to age. They have been rated by Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar and Ric Torb (an Aussie expert) but not by Parker or Wine Spectator. Grenache, Merlot and Petit Verdot are other varietals from Dog Ridge.

- Drew - 07-22-2008

wOw, was the Thorpe the regular bottling or the McLauren Vale? Inquiring minds and all.

DRew

- wondersofwine - 07-23-2008

I'm not sure. I've got one or two bottles at home but will be leaving on vacation tomorrow so can't get back to you for awhile.

- wondersofwine - 07-23-2008

Drew, from the Thorpe Wines website it appears that all of their wines are from their own vineyard (planted in 1997) and it is located on the floor of McLaren Vale but within about three miles of the ocean so gets warm days and cool evening breezes. In 2004 they produced but three wines--a regular Shiraz (which was my favorite and which won a Gold Medal in Sydney competition for full-bodied red wines) a Shiraz Reserve (which I did not like as well as the regular) and a Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. They now have added a sparkling Shiraz and the "Nymph" line which are their entry-level wines (and which did not impress me at a tasting in Raleigh.) IMHO the regular Shiraz is the star of the lineup.