WineBoard
Valpo suggestions? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Valpo suggestions? (/thread-8139.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 04-28-2003

Foodie, what do you mean by "lore?"

- randery - 04-28-2003

No, no, no. Small fiddleheads, sauteed in butter w/ onions are not skunky at all. They should be cooked along wthe onions just until the onions are translucent. A liitle shopped garlic at the end of the saute w/a fresh pat of butter and it delicioso. Try 'em

- stevebody - 04-28-2003

IK, without meaning to start another dust-up, Valpo Classico is not always ripasso. Some of the producers routinely make their Classicos by the Ripasso method - Le Ragose and Bussola, to name two - but many are simply single-fermentation, fresh-juice vinified, just like any other wine. The Tomassi "Rafael", as far as I know, is one of these, separate from their lovely Ripasso. The Masi Serego Allegheri and the Allegrini Classico are both single-fermented, as shown on their websites, masi.it and allegrini.it.

Rand, that's the rub in buying a simple Valpo. Sometimes, as in the case of the Secco-Bertani Classico, it is ripasso but doesn't say that until you read the mouse-type on the back. If you like the Classicos, though, I'm bettin' you'll LOVE the ripasso. It's got considerably more depth and richness than simple Classico and doesn't always sport an inflated price tag for it. The Le Ragose is about $14, the Cesari "Mara" is about $12, and the stunning Zenato is a steal at about $18.

Some wineries, like Bussola, are raising the bar on the prices and, of course the Italians, being no less immune than we to the charms of a buck, are inching their way along. The Bussola TB Classico is Sex In A Bottle but you'll pay about $28 for the pleasure. My suggestion: try the Cesari, the Bertani, the Masi Campofiorin Ripasso AND the Serego Allegheri Classico, and the Le Ragose, all under $15, most stores, and all fine drinks. In other parts of the country, of course, there may be other things available, so solicit more input from the Easterners.

- Thomas - 04-28-2003

Georgie, in upstate NY, where I have a home, fiddleheads are revered by the locals as if they were a rite-of-rural-passage food. They are talked about like morel mushrooms--but they are not (in my view) as interesting.

But rendery, I will try that onion saute--to see if it will warm me to them.

- scimmiatinit - 04-29-2003

Roccolo Grassi...

Tommaso Bussola TB...

Viviani...

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2003

Didn't say that all Valpolicella Classicos are Ripassos. Said that all Valpolicella Classico Superiores are Ripassos. All three words have to be on the bottle for it to be a Ripasso. The wines you (SB) recommended are all good ones.

- Botafogo - 04-29-2003

IK, I will have to dig out the DOC regs but I think the real criterion for VCS is alcohol content and Ripasso is the easiest way to get there but if you had an execeptionally ripe vintage I think you COULD make a VCS without ripasso...

Roberto

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2003

Roberto, the 1998 Nicholis Angelo, Testal, Veronese you sold us as a Ripasso was wonderful, but did not say Ripasso anywhere on the bottle. So how to you tell?

- Botafogo - 04-29-2003

Some producers see Ripasso as a good marketing hook and say so on the label, others don't. We ASK them how the wine is made and so we sometimes have wines that we know are ripasso without being labeled as such.

Speaking of a little extra meat on the bones, my namorada just called me from Rio de Janeiro OVERJOYED to announce that, after a vigorous regimen of protein and vitamina milkshakes and walking the length of Copacaban beach in the sand every day, she has gained 7 pounds and her butt is bigger. Different cultures value different things, eh???

Roberto

- Georgie - 04-29-2003

I'm packing my bags!

- scimmiatinit - 04-30-2003

Valpo Qualifications: with aging of one year and a minimum alcohol level of 12ø, the wine can be labeled Superiore. If the grapes come from the oldest production area, the wine can be described as Classico. If the grapes are obtained from the Valpantena production district, the geographical indication Valpantena can be added to the label.

No Ripasso is mentioned...

- scimmiatinit - 04-30-2003

Anytime You have any doubt about Italian denominations YOU can visit:

http://www.milioni.com/vini/ingd1.htm

Even if, maybe, not all denominations are there... it's in ENGLISH !!!!

Enjoy.
Fabio

- Botafogo - 04-30-2003

Fabio, have you ever seen a bottle of a DOC from Calabria called Squillace??? It is in some old books I have but we can never find any...

Roberto

- randery - 05-02-2003

Hottie, had the Tomassi Valpo Rafael ($12) you suggested tonight with a red bolognese over cappellini. A big difference from the Allegrini Valpolicello, which I also like. I can't do TNs but much more powerful, for lack of a better term.There also seemed to be more flavors at work. Thank you. I had to get this from a large merchant while in Danbury as I didn't find it around Litchfield. Did not find Barnsey's recommendation. This is fun!

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 05-02-2003).]

- hotwine - 05-03-2003

Good on ya. Glad you were able to find it.

- scimmiatinit - 05-04-2003

For Roberto...

never seen a bottle and I don't think is a Doc, anyway...

BIANCO DI SQUILLACE
Vino bianco prodotto nell'area jonica del golfo di Squillace, in provincia di Catanzaro. Di colore paglierino con riflessi ambrati, deriva da uve dei vitigni Greco bianco, Malvasia Liparota, Uva Rosa. Delicato di aroma, ha sapore abboccato, talora frizzante.

WHITE OF SQUILLACE
White wine produced in the area jonica (Joinio Sea)of the gulf of Squillace, in the province of Catanzaro. Of pale yellow color with amber reflexes , derives from Greco, Malvasia Liparota, Uva Rosa grapes.
Delicate aroma, sometimes slightly sweet, sometimes fizzy.

www.vigilicatanzaro.it/vini.htm

...for everything about Calabria viticulture!

Ciao
Fabio