WineBoard
Valpo suggestions? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Valpo suggestions? (/thread-8139.html)

Pages: 1 2

- randery - 04-25-2003

Don't mean to ask another stupid question but that seems to be becoming a tradition. Roberto wrote of terroir and that the Allegrini I identified is not really Valpolicella. Fabio provided a beautiful,prosaic description of a good Chianti. Does anyone have a suggestion for a truly representative valpo in the $15- $20 range. Thank you.

- Thomas - 04-25-2003

Just last night I had a Valpolicella that, although it was produced by a large commercial winery named Bolla, represented what I enjoy about the light red wine: cherry-like flavors, tight acidity, and a medium but firm structure that betrays its light color.

I find these wines delightful with a wide variety of foods, which is why my wife and I ordered it in a restaurant last night. She had calamari ala marinara and I had veal Milanese. The wine paired relatively well with each.

One of the things I truly agree with that has been said on this board before is that Italian wine is mainly food wine.

- hotwine - 04-25-2003

Here's one for even less that I posted on a while back, with my TN. See http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum13/HTML/000318.html

1998 Tommasi Valpolicella Classico Superiore "Rafael"

Wow, big wine! Nose of white pepper and bacon fat, more on the palate
with crushed overripe blackberries, more white pepper on the moderate
finish. 12.5% ABV. This is a single-vineyard product, consisting of
65% Corvina, 30% Rondinella and 5% Molinara, and aged for 24 months
in Slovenian oak. $10.99 at the full retail shop, probably at least
$2 less at a discounter, but easily worth the full price and more.

Foodie's right on, as per normal. Paired the Tommasi with beef stew that night.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 04-25-2003).]

- Thomas - 04-25-2003

Seems the one Hotwine speaks of is a bigger wine than the one I spoke of. There is also the Valoplicella Ripasso wines, which are bigger still--I hate the term, but they are known as baby Amarone.

- ShortWiner - 04-25-2003

Randery,
Regarding "stupid questions"--I haven't seen any, and I really don't think you should take the skirmishing going on in your Chianti thread personally. It's been brewing for some time on several threads.

-ST

- randery - 04-25-2003

Thanks for your suggestions. We'll enjoy trying them all and others. In fact I think the Allegrini does have the faint taste of cherries. Thanks also for your kind words.

- Thomas - 04-25-2003

Yeah Shortwiner, you are discerning. It was a matter of time for the explosion.

randery, questions are never stupid, but sometimes our answers can be...

- Thomas - 04-26-2003

randery, you are on the East Coast--ever eat shad roe? I fixed it last night for dinner--simple sprinkle of black pepper, flour dusting, and then saute in lemon/butter/garlic. Valpolicella did it again. This time I had Monte Tondo Valpolicella 2001 that we sell at is-wine. The wine is a cross between strawberry and cherry-like, light yet firm. Great match.

- randery - 04-26-2003

Yes, and soon they'll be running the Connecticut River! The roe is delectable and given the delicate nature of the roe, the saute sounds terrific. We will do some up with your wine suggestion. Would be nice to locate some early fiddleheads but that doesn't seem likely. Thank you.

- Thomas - 04-26-2003

Don't mention fiddleheads around my wife; she'll steal all you have...

- randery - 04-26-2003

Thanks, Foodie, I shared these latest posts with my girlfriend. I meant it as an innocent suggestion for the next few weeks, or so I thought. I'm hitting the phones now, dialing up the mongers in search of fresh roe for tonight. I guess that's why I love her!

- barnesy - 04-26-2003

If you can find it,

my absolute fav. valpol is
Corta Santa Alda

Absolutely phenomonal juice, gets even better with loads of good italian food.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 04-27-2003

Don't know why Roberto didn't clarify this, but Valpolicella Classico Superiore and Vino Di Ripasso are one and the same. Enjoyed a couple of new ones on my trip.

- Thomas - 04-27-2003

And right you are IK--welcome home.

- ShortWiner - 04-28-2003

Shad, a favorite. It's worth putting up with all the bones. Haven't had the roe, but now that you've all suggested it, it's on my agenda.

- Georgie - 04-28-2003

Anybody care to share how you cook fiddleheads? I find them intriguing, but don't know what to do with them.

- Georgie - 04-28-2003

I found this basic recipe on Martha's site. Sounds good.
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe2437

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 04-28-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2003

Fiddleheads are very popular around here, and we get them regularly at pot lucks and things like that. Don't have any recipes as I don't like them one bit. I think they should leave them in the woods with the skunk cabbage that they smell like, and surely taste like. P.S. I like regular cabbage, Brussel sprouts, et al.

- Thomas - 04-28-2003

IK, there are few foods I don't like--fiddleheads is among 'em. My wife adores them. I tell her it's the lore she responds to, not the smell and taste. And I do eat brussel sprouts and cabbage, so it ain't just that I don't like that family.

In all cases, however, these vegetables are quite difficult to pair with wine--the funky stuff seems to pair with Sauvignon Blanc when it is in its extreme cat pee zone.

- Georgie - 04-28-2003

eeeuwww. Maybe after I meet them in person, I'll feel the same way. I was hoping they tasted more like asparagus. If I can get past the smell, maybe I'll just purchase few to taste. Thanks for your input, IK! It's very nice to have you back!