WineBoard
pasta shells, ground beef, tomato sauce - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: pasta shells, ground beef, tomato sauce (/thread-81.html)

- hades_ibex - 10-25-2004

For a meat pasta dish with a tomato based sauce, am I right in thinking a Chianti would be a proper pairing? Anything else? Is it true that acidic reds go with a tomato sauce, and if so which reds contain the most acid? Usually I read about acid in whites and tannins in reds, but not too much info on acids in reds.
Cheers.

- Innkeeper - 10-25-2004

This is one of the arguments I have with Foodie. And I'm not alone, there are plenty of folks here as well as respected critics elsewhere who say that acid complements acid. Chianti goes well with that dish, but if you want to kick it up a notch, look for a Rosso di Montalcino. It is made mostly from the same grape, Sangiovese. It is high in acid. "Mostly" was used because both Chianti and this Rosso are blends, as are most Tuscan reds.

- hades_ibex - 10-25-2004

It seems more and more that for every person who thinks, "Now there's a pairing", there is someone else who disagrees. Makes it kind of hard for folks like me who are just learning about food/wine. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- californiagirl - 10-25-2004

Even easier for one just beginning to enjoy wine/food pairings. Go to experts for guidance... but only you know what you like. Buy an inexpensive bottle of Chianti- give it a try. If you don't care for it, there are many other selections.

- Thomas - 10-26-2004

hades, et al,

If you like any wine and food pairing that is your pregrogative BUT since you ask for advice:

I think there are two ways to approach the phenomenon:

1. same or like textures: acidic wine with acidic food and low acid wine with fatty food

2. contrasting textures: concentrated fruit or low acid wine with acidic food and high acid wine with fatty food.

I prefer the contrasting textures for the sheer joy of their complexity.

To me, discussion (and information) is not argument, unless one side of the discussion refuses to accept the other side's position...

- Innkeeper - 10-26-2004

OK, discussion vice argument.

- wondersofwine - 10-26-2004

I'm with IK on the acidic wine with tomato sauce (I usually go for a Chianti) but there are instances when I go with Foodie's view such as an acidic white (maybe Sauvignon Blanc) to cut through the fat in a richly sauced fish. With lobster tail with drawn butter I may pull a reverse again and go for like-to-like, a rich buttery Chardonnay (but not too oaky--maybe a Meursault).

- Thomas - 10-26-2004

WOW,

The next time you have an intense and thick tomato sauce try a wine from southern Italy (if you haven't already) alongside a Chianti.

To me, Chianti is best with northern sauces which, even when tomato is included, are usually lighter and thinner. Most Americans don't know there is a difference between northern and southern Italian cooking and tomato sauces. In some circles there is a custom of cutting a thick tomato sauce with something sweet (why do you think that is done?).

Chianti shines with sheep cheese.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-26-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 10-26-2004

Foodie,
I prefer the Northern Italian cuisine so if I am preparing the dish, it will likely be a lighter and thinner sauce. Even when dining out, I usually prefer the Tuscan restaurants over Napoli or Sicilian.

- Thomas - 10-27-2004

WOW,

Now I understand you.

Most people I meet think Italian food is a monocultural concoction. Since it was the people from the Mezzogiorno who mainly came to this country (at first) it was southern Italian food that Amercians learned is THE Italian food.

I recently read a story about the actor, Michael Farina, who is from Chicago. Even he thinks Italian food is one thing, I suppose because that is all he was exposed to in Chicago, which was heavily southern influenced by the likes of you know who...who, incidentally got his scar as a bouncer in my Brooklyn neighborhood, before Lucky Luciano had him deported.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-27-2004).]